Thursday 2 June 2016

29/05/16 - Viaduct - Cary

Weight - 161lb 5oz
Catch - 16 Carp, 1 Skimmer, 1 Tench
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Float Only - rd 1 - 5th out of 41, 1st out of 5 section

One of the reasons I have fished Viaduct a lot recently was with this match in mind, the first round of the Tony's Float Only series. I really wanted to get off to good start and like everyone else a draw on Campbell was the preferred option, however I had to be content with p94 in the corner of Cary.

When I got to my peg the wind was blowing into the end bank and there were 1 or 2 fish showing themselves. So hopeful of a few fish, but the priority was to win my 5 peg section, which ran from 86 to 95.

Cary fished hard yesterday with only 117lb winning the lake from p80 and I was expecting a tough day. 2 meat rigs were set up, one to fish at 5m and the other down the right hand margin, a pellet rig to fish for skimmers in case it got really hard, a shallow pellet rig and finally a waggler to fish towards the end bank.

After feeding 4s at 14m and meat at 5m, I started down the margin toss potting 4 bits of meat and some hemp. 10mins later I landed a 6lb carp. With an hour gone that was still my only fish and in fact the one fish caught in our section! Although Steve Seager next to me did land 18lber shortly afterwards.

A switch to the waggler produced one of the newly stocked mini tench on 8mm pellet, which was my only fish on that rig.

Back down the right hand margin, I snagged up losing a hooklength, but by continuing toss potting meat/hemp I started to catch. However the snag proved to be a problem. After the 3rd time of catching it, I managed to pull out a mass of blackened branches all wrapped up in loads of line. I didn't have any more problems after that, although I don't think continually having to pull my rigs out helped the carp settle.

After 3hrs, I was winning the section, with Steve probably my closest rival. I don't think he had a single fish under 10lb. During a quiet spell I did have a look over the skimmer line, but one bumped small fish suggested I was wasting my time and started pinging 8s to fish shallow later.

The remainder of the match went fairly smoothly, catching the majority of my fish down the margin, plus 2 munters from the 5m line. In the end I never tried the shallow rig. Paul Elmes on p86, Tom Mangnall on p88 and Alex Nadin on p90 were struggling to catch the shallow, and I was catching quicker down the margin. Tom did manage to get a few together late on to beat Steve into 2nd for the section with 90lb, but as expected it was tough going for most.

1st 204-10 - Dave White - p109
2nd 182- 3 - Nick Ewers - p76
3rd 181- 7 - Chris Fox - p135
4th 165- 7 - Chris Davies - p131
5th 161- 5 - Ken Rayner - 94
6th 144-12 - Dan White - p123

No comments: