Saturday 25 June 2016

24/06/16 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 96lb 12oz
Catch - 24 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Wet start, clear and sunny later
Match - Airpsrung AC - 1st out of 9

I always look forward to the first match of the year at Rood Ashton since it means summer is on the way, although I think its hiding as it was chucking it down when I arrived in the car park.

Today was an evening match fished 6-9.30 and with 9 fishing we were well spread around the lake, so no really bad pegs. I drew peg 1, which is the first peg by the car park. A good peg which tends to have a lot of smaller resident fish, but with so much space I fancied it for a few.

Only 2 rigs today, both to fish meat down the margins. 1x to fish the right margin where it was only 1ft deep and the other to fish to my left towards the tree where it was 2ft deep, that rig would also serve to fish in the open water if necessary.

Tactics today where simple, meat over groundbait down the right and just meat to my left.

On the all in I started down the right at 6m where the fish moved in immediately onto a ball of groundbait, but getting a bite was difficult despite tails showing right next to my float. For the 90mins I concentrated down the right switching between 6m where I was hoping to catching more quickly and 13m by the bush, where I was cupping in groundbait. After an hour I only had 4 fish, but after 90mins I was up to 9, before both swims went quiet. A switch to left produced a couple of unhittable bites, before a roach came flying out, so not too many carp down that side.

A text from Mark pegged opposite the island said he had 10 and I could see Steve Martin further down catching and I didn't think I was to far off the pace.

I had also being pinging pellet at 13m as a back up, but couldn't get a proper bite, so discarded that line after 10mins of trying.

Back down the left the carp had arrived, catching 3 fish on the bounce, before the fish disappeared again and this was really the pattern for the evening. The short margin swim had died completely, which meant I had to keep swapping between the left and right 13m swims, fishing 10mm or double 8mm meat.

With 30mins the left hand margin had died completely and decided to start a new margin 6m to the left tight to the bank in the shallow water. It didn't take long for the fish to turn up and in the last 15mins I managed 4 more carp, including a 7lber.

On the all out Steve was admitting to 18 carp and as news filtered down it was starting to look like I may won, which is the way it turned out. Really pleased with that result, as that was my best Rood Ashton evening weight. 

1st 96-12 - Ken Rayner
2nd 78-4 - Mark Poppleton
3rd 65- 8 - Rich Whitmarsh
4th 50- 0 - Steve Martin

No comments: