Monday 13 June 2016

11/06/16 - Lands End - Johns (no 3) Lake

Weight - 98lb 7oz
Catch - 23 Carp, 2 Crucians, 1 F1, 1 Skimmer, 1 Perch, 1 Roach
Weather  Cloudy, muggy & still
Match - Open - 3rd out of 9

Back to Lands End and I really wanted a good day to put my last performance here behind me - not that many people took the piss about me leaving early. With 9 of us, we were well spread around no3 lake and was pleased with p51, although it was likely Dan White on p68 was going to be difficult to beat.

Rigs for the day, was a shallow pellet rig to fish the margin and across to the island, a paste rig, 5m meat rig and a meat rig for down the margin.

On all in I started on paste fishing to the point of the island and started firing 6s to island where the bank has collapsed to my left. I soon had a decent carp, but then foul hooked 2, which prompted a pot of pellet and a switch to the were the island had collapsed. By the end of first hour I was up to 5 carp (3 on pellet and 2 on paste) and a skimmer.

The 2nd hour proved to be more difficult, but no one seemed to be catching much so just kept rotating between the 2 swims, although I set up another shallow rig which was better to target a narrow shallow shelve were the fish seemed happier to feed. The only problem was the overhanging sedges, which I caught on more than one occasion!

The majority of the middle part of the match was spent fishing shallow. I even mugged one as it swim past me. At one point it looked like it was snowing as a lot of white fluff got blown from the surrounding trees and fortunately it wasn't too thick, so at least I could get my rig in the water.

With 2 hours to go, the grapevine suggested it was between Dan and myself. So far the fish from the island included a number of smaller 2lbers and I was hoping for some proper fish from my margin and short meat line.

I had fed my margins with meat and hemp and initially struggled to get a proper bite, after a few rig adjustments resulted in 3 carp in 3 put ins. But then I struggled and balls it up some how. There were obviously fish moving in, but getting a proper bite was difficult. In hindsight I think I should have fished down the shelf.

In the last hour I only added 2 carp. The island swim proved increasingly difficult and my 5m meat line was full of silvers! So not a great end to the match and I had a gut feeling I had blown any chance of a pick up, because Dave Ings had caught well in the last 2 hours.

The weigh in revealed I missed out on 2nd by 9lb, which to be honest I should have caught. There was no beating Dan though, class angler on a good peg - well done mate.

1st 153- 2 - Dan White - p68
2nd 107-10 - Dave Ings - p65
3rd 98- 7 - Ken Rayner - p51
4th 88-10 - Dave Wescott - p45

Silvers
1st 21-10 - Ray Whitcombe - p70
2nd 19- 9 - Rod Wootton - p42
3rd 18- 0 - Dan White - p68
4th 12-12 - Andy Hembrow - p58

No comments: