Monday 20 June 2016

19/06/16 - Viaduct - Cary

Weight - 95lb 7oz
Catch - 9 Carp, 3 Perch, 2 Roach, 1 Skimmer, 1 Tench
Weather - Dry start, but drizzle/rain for most of the day.
Match - Spring League - 28th out of 56 overall, 4th out of 6 section

With no match planned this weekend, I was hoping to get in on the Spring league and fortunately Mark Poppleton posted his desire on facebook to attend his son's football tournament rather than fish the last the round of the league. With fee's already paid it was just a case of turn up and hopefully draw a Campbell flyer.

109 is neither a flyer or on Campbell. That's 7 out of the last 9 matches on Cary and only once on Campbell. Ideally I also wanted to avoid any pegs that required pulling angry carp from snags because of a dodgy no6 section on my power legion, which had more tape than carbon. Needless to say it give way half way during the match, but I've already got another section on order.

Back to the match, a quick chat with Dave White who won from the peg a few weeks ago, revealed most of the fish came from the left hand bank, which did plumb up nice. There was also the overhanging tree in front and the margins to my right which were a lot shallower than the left hand bank.

The peg is a boom or bust, if they are in the corner great, otherwise it could be a struggle, but there were a few fish showing themselves by the overflow pipe, so I was hopeful of a few fish. For company, although I could hardly hear anything over the water gushing out of the pipe was Chris Fox on 74 and Emma Drysdale on 105.

On the all in meat was feed at 6m out in front and a couple of bits were thrown in by the overflow pipe. Fishing 10mm meat I had 2 doubles by the overflow after 35mins, before they disappeared. A switch to the 6m meat line produced a roach and a skimmer, before the fish returned to the overflow pipe and I had another 2 carp, plus a 2lb perch.

With 2hrs gone, I thought 2 carp an hour would get me to approximately 120lb, unfortunately the middle 2hrs turned out to be a bit barren.

So far I had left the left hand bank alone to settle and give the carp a quiet place to fall back to. Fishing meat only produced 2 perch, a switch to feeding pellet didn't produce anything! Speaking to Chris on 74, he said he didn't have anything down to his right, so it would appear for what ever reason the carp didn't want to be along that bank and I didn't see any movement along the bank all match.

My short meat line only produced nibbles from roach as they tried to whittle down the 10mm meat and the swim towards the over hanging tree was the same. I did lose 3 carp down the right hand margin, all of which were foul hooked.

In the meantime I could see Emma catching a few on the lead, I tried the lead, but casting was difficult due the over hanging branches all around me, so I didn't stay long on it. Although I did have some fun when Emma decided to cast too far towards me. Taking the hooklength off I cast over her line and slowly wound back. Two "unmissable" bites later I think she realised what was happening and stayed within her peg :)

With 2 hours to go, my swim sparked into life with a 6lber from my short meat line. I also started feeding groundbait 13m down my right, which produced 3 carp, plus a double figure fish from the short meat line.

In the end a little frustrating. I genuinely don't believe there was a big head of feeding fish in my corner of the lake, however, I cant shake the feeling I didn't quite get the groundbait fed margin swim right. There was a lot of debris down the margins and in hindsight I perhaps should have used a heavier float. Having said that I doubt I would have challenged the 161lb which won my section from p100.

1st - 243lb 15oz - Craig Edmunds - p125
2nd - 220lb 15oz - Mike Williams - p66
3rd - 211lb 9oz - Paul Elmes - p121
4th - 209lb 0oz - Dan White - p127
5th - 192lb 6oz - Rob Jones - p128
6th - 188lb 14oz - Gary O'Shea - p114

No comments: