Monday 13 June 2016

12/06/16 - Lands End - Speci

Weight - 62lb 6oz (15lb 2oz - silvers)
Catch - 6 Carp, 10 Roach, 7 Skimmers, 3 F1s, 2 Chub, 1 Tench, 1 Perch.
Weather - Wet start, mostly cloudy, then sunny later.
Match - Float Only rd 2 - 16th out of 41, 4 out of 6 section

Today's match was spread over 3 lakes, 15 on Match and No3 lake and 11 on Speci. I didn't mind which lake I drew since I was fishing for section, but p25 on Speci would have been one of those to avoid, because I was in with the p31-34 which is normally the better end of the lake. I really knew I was up against it when Tony drew 33 and a very hung over Trigger drew 34. The rest of my section included Tim Clarke (31), Chris Fox (32) and Steve Seager opposite on 40. Both Steve and I thought we would be battling for last, but you never know since this end of the lake can throw up some weights.

I was pleased to see p26 was vacant, with Dave Roper on 27 being the next angler, which meant I could target the point of the island, but it would require all 17.5m of pole.

I didn't expect to catch much in open water so intended on targeting the island and down the left hand bank with paste or pellet, but I did set up a short meat line and just in case I needed a few silvers a pellet/caster rig.

Since I needed carp, I started down the left hand bank on paste, catching a carp, then a big F1, followed by a roach in the first hour. The pellet rig didn't produce either down the left or to the point of the island. In the fact the island didn't produce anything, despite pinging pellet all match - there wasn't even any slurppers off the island. There just didn't seem to be many carp at this end of the lake. Steve was similarly struggling, although any carp he did hook more often than not found their way into the cage.

After 1hr 20mins and no further fish, I decided to try and put some fish in the net and fed 2 swims in the open water hoping for some skimmers/f1s on expander. All I caught was small skimmers and roach and going no where fast, so decided to bin these swims.

My short meat line became more productive, unfortunately no carp, but a couple of F1s, skimmers and some quality roach.

With 2 hours to go Dave Roper had enough and packed up, although he said he wasn't feeling well (sounds familiar). What it did mean I wasn't sharing the p26 platform anymore and I needed to do something different, so a full pot of caster and some meat went in, followed 20mins later by a 1/2 pot.

At last my managed a carp from the short meat line, followed by another roach. The last 90mins proved to be the best of the match, catching 3 carp, including 2 doubles on double caster by the platform, plus some quality silvers. I also had a double figure carp from the short meat line, to beat Steve and Chris who weighed 36lb and 50lb respectively.

The good news was Trigger, Tony and Tim all framed which meant I picked up section by triple de-fault - yay!

1st 298-2 - Craig Edmunds - p34 (image what he would have caught has he been sober!)
2nd 130-13 - Tony Rixon - p33
3rd 126- 5 - Tim Clark - p31
4th 118-11 - Sean Townsend - p15
5th 116- 5 - Chris Davis - p35
6th 107-13 - Bela Bakos - p13
Silvers
1st 26- 8 - John Fuidge - p1
2nd 23- 4 - Tom Thick - p16
3rd 20- 0 - Mike Nicholls - p19
4th 19- 8 - Matt Tomes - p42
5th 17-10 - Tony Thick - p46
6th 15-12 - Chris Davis - p35

No comments: