Wednesday 1 April 2015

28/03/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 42lb 2oz (16lb 2oz - silvers)
Catch - 8 Carp, 22 Skimmers, 12 Rudd, 10 Roach, 5 F1, 4 Crucians
Weather - Mostly cloudy and breezy
Match - 4th out of 7, 2nd in silvers

With an eye on tomorrow's winter league, I was pleased to see todays match on no3 lake, instead of the Match Lake which was hosting a club match. However we only had 7 anglers, so more of a knock up. Don't think it helped that with Mike in Cornwall doing a trade show and no phone reception, some people couldn't book in and weren't prepared to turn up on spec.

I found myself on p70 again, which is great for silvers, but I really wanted to draw further up the lake. As we know the carp in this corner tend to be on the small side and if the rest of the lakes fishes, it is difficult to compete for the overall placing. With that in mind, I felt silvers would be the best chance for a pick up.

The match went pretty much the same as the last time I fished the peg a few weeks ago.

I started on the meat, hoping for a few early carp, but caught rudd, so that was soon binned. A switch to fishing soft pellet over 4s by the weed bed produced a run of mostly skimmers, but fewer F1s than last time. After a couple hours the rudd where proving to be a real pain.

A further switch to the point of the spit produced a few more skimmers, but it wasn't prolific and the F1s were conspicuous by their absence.

In the meantime I had been pinging pellet to the spit in the hope of pulling in some carp and F1s for later. The issue however was the wind blowing more and more rubbish into my end of the lake, making it difficult to present a bait. In the end I managed a few carp fishing a 6mm expander at half depth down the left hand margin tight to all the snags, but dodging the debris was a pain and the carp I was catching were on the small side.

A short meat line only produced 1 carp and more silvers, so ended up concentrating on chasing the carp, but by the end of the match started to wonder whether I should have stuck with the silvers. As it happened Rod Wootton put an excellent 28lb of F1s & quality skimmers on scales from unfancied p45. Fortunately Rod came 2nd overall leaving me to collect the silvers pools by de-fault.

1st 62-11 - Rich Heatley - p41
2nd 59-8 - Rod Wootton - p45
3rd 53- 8 - Mark Walsh - p58
4th 42- 2 - Ken Rayner - p70

Silvers
1st 28- 2 - Rod Wootton - p45
2nd 16- 2 - Ken Rayner - p70
 
 

No comments: