Tuesday 7 April 2015

06/04/15 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 15lb 15oz
Catch - 6 Carp
Weather -  warm & sunny, easterly breeze
Match - Open - 10th out of 13

Following reports of good weights, Mark organised a knock up at Rood Ashton to take advantage of the extended weekend. Numbers had been limited to 15, because the car park bank had to be left free for pleasure anglers. In the end only 13 turned up, but it still meant pegging was a little tight.

When I saw my peg, I was really disappointed as I was in the middle of 3 anglers in an area that normal suited 2. I had no trees to fish under, no margin and open water in front. Have to say I considered going home, because I knew I would be in for a tough day.

Plan of attack was simple. Straight lead at 25m firing 8s over the top, pole/pellet at 13m. Meat was also fed in the deepest area on my top 4 at an angle.

It was cold overnight, so I wasn't expecting too much to start, but it took 2hrs 10mins before I landed my first fish. Jamie Read to my left had 4 or 5 fish on the method, whilst the angler to my right had 3 fish also on the method. I considered setting up a feeder, but decided to stick with the straight lead, because I thought the fish would eventually settle over the pellet, plus the fish on the feeder tend to be on the small side.

My next fish arrived an hour later. I tried the pole, but only got nibbles from roach. I even tried throwing in a load of bait a couple of metres off the margin, which resulted in 1 lost foul hooker, but nothing else.

In the end I sat it out on the tip with 8mm pellet and managed to restock some of my hooklengths (I had to relief the boredom some how). The last 15mins turned out to be the best period, with 4 fish, when they finally settled over the pellet.

Not a great day, but the first match of the year at Rood Ashton signals the start of spring/summer and the weather today was gorgeous providing the first sunburn of the year.

1st 130-0 - Craig Edmunds - p7
2nd 76- 3 - Glen Picton - p5
3rd 58- 9 - Mark Poppleton  - p3
4th 42- 8 - Kevin Crabbe - p10
5th 34- 8 - Ryan Heard - p4
6th 33- 5 - John Moody

No comments: