Sunday 26 April 2015

25/04/15 - Fishponds

Weight - 96lb 1oz
Catch - 18 Carp
Weather - Cool, cloudy and rain later
Match - Club - 3rd out of 12

Today was the first Saturday afternoon/evening (5hr) club match and we were all expecting a good day, however it didn't turn out as we expected.

I would have been happy with peg 4, but with peg 3 in, it meant the left margin was likely to be unproductive (and it didn't produce a single bite). I couldn't fish the right hand margin because a tree was in the way, which just left the bottom of the shelf, which was 7ft. For the 3rd consecutive match I had a deep peg and no real shallow water to target.

Because peg 3 is quite close, I decided to target the bottom of the shelf to my right, initially with paste, which produced 2 carp, but lost 3 more. A switch to fishing banded 8mm pellet (HB dweezil 0.5g > .16 > 16 B960), lifting and dropping produced better bites and fewer loses.

In the meantime I kept pinging pellet at 13m, hoping to catch shallow. After my 3rd attempt of trying I landed a shallow carp, which was followed by 4 more in a 30min spell, before the wind dropped and it became cooler as the rain the started.

Instead of the swim getting stronger in the last 90mins it proved to be a real struggle. In the end I caught a couple more carp fishing left handed fishing past the tree, resting the pole in the branches.

Sometimes you have to wonder whether you are getting the rub of the green. After 3 indifferent draws, the fish I was catching were only averaging 5lb, when normally I would expect a 6.5-7lb average and a 5lber jumped out of the net. Whilst the jumper didn't cost me in terms of position, the lower average size certainly did.

1st 119-12 - Glen Putterill - p6 (caught to his left in 3ft of water)
2nd 105- 2 - Roger Putterill - p10
3rd 96- 1 - Ken Rayner - p4
4th 77-13 - Andy Lord - p1
5th 75-15 - Dave Bradley - p12
6th 69- 8 - Andy Bradley - p23

No comments: