Monday 4 May 2015

02/05/15 - Windmill - Match Lake

Weight -  11lb 12oz
Catch - 5 Carp, 13 Skimmers
Weather - Cold easterly
Match - Qualifer - 10th out of 12

So 3rd time lucky to qualify? With a forecast easterly wind, I wanted to draw between p18-p28 which would have the wind off your bank, with p26 being the preferred option. However, p32 put me on the opposite bank and with no shelter from the island, the wind was blowing directly into me.

I really didn't fancy it, because it felt freezing in the wind, but you never know.

Targeting the bottom of the slope, left and right, I caught my first carp after 45mins on meat, before catching a second on 4mm expander 30mins later. Other than Eddie on p26 I couldn't see anyone catching and thought if I could keep catching every 30mins I would be in with a chance.

Due to the wind I had to pot feed to keep everything nice and tidy, but all I caught for the rest of the match were small skimmers and tiny carp, plus a pound skimmer on 8mm pellet shallow.

The margins didn't produce and despite carp moving around the island, the straight lead also failed to produce. In the end most of us only had 2 or 3 carp and a handful of silvers.

To be honest I couldn't wait to pack up, thoroughly fed up and cold. Sometimes you come away from a match thinking I should have done that, could have done this. However, today I really didn't know what to do. I kept the feed nice and tidy, persevered hoping the carp would turn up late, but nothing. Completely beaten by the conditions again.

Well done to Eddie Wynne for winning, catching shallow against the island from p26.

1st 55- 2 - Eddie Wynne - p26
2nd 52- 2 - Sean Wilson - p20
3rd 43-14 - Keith Bilder - p10
4th 30- 2 - Andy Lord - p2
5th 26-12 - Craig Challingsworth - p24
6th 25-10 - Pete Humpris - p22

No comments: