Thursday 21 May 2015

17/05/15 - Trinity Waters - Woodlands

Weight - 31lb 7oz (5lb 15oz - silvers)
Catch - 4 Carp, 10 Skimmers, 1 Roach
Weather - Mostly cloudy, cool NW breeze
Match - Short Pole Series rd 2 - 19th out of 28 (4th out of 7 - section)

Writing a blog means there is no hiding place when things aren't going well, particularly out on the bank and I have received plenty of encouragement recently! However the banter is one of the reasons I look forward to my weekends fishing, particularly after a hard weeks work. Could just do with a decent draw.

The 2nd round of this short pole series and all 28 turned up. I drew p28 which at least meant a short walk, but other than that its not the best area of the lake. Speaking to a couple of anglers who fished the area in the last round, said they caught very little in the margin, which wasn't a surprise, since this bank doesn't have the best margins with nearly every peg in.

With a light but cool breeze blowing left to right down the lake, I decided to feed 4s & 6s long (3+2) left and right, plus meat (and hemp) in the margins.

Starting long on paste I had hoped for an early carp, but other than a liner no fish. A switch to expander after 45mins resulted in 4 skimmers in as many put ins, before they disappeared.

Sticking with expander did produce a couple more skimmers, but by the half way point no more showed. In fact the lake was fishing harder than expected and by the sounds of it only a handful of carp had been caught in my section (p23-29), so still all to play for assuming I could actually catch a carp.

Most of the fish seem to be caught from the opposite bank. Bobby G and Trigger in particular were playing who's got the smallest!? The number of 2lber's landed that looked 5lb+! Pinocchio comes to mind.

As for me, I tried slapping a pellet around without success, but did manage a 9lb carp on my skimmer rig. I just wish I brought some dead maggot or worm to catch a few more silvers, but will never know.

My margins proved to be a little more successful, producing a decent skimmer and a small carp, both on meat.

Since I couldn't catch any skimmers and the swim seemed devoid of life, I decided to feed a full pot of pellet to my left and fish paste over the top. This produced another carp, but no more, so another big pot this time to my right and another carp before the end.

Paul Elmes won our section with 87lb and Tom Mangnall was 2nd with 55lb, but as for the rest of us in the section we all had 4 or 5 carp and a few silvers.

1st 117-12 - Rod Wootten - p6
2nd 87-12 - Paul Elmes - p25
3rd 79- 4 - Mike Nichols - p22
4th 79- 3 - Craig Edmunds - p9
5th 61-13 - Bob Gullick - p13
6th 59-11 - Adrian Jeffery - p33

Silvers
1st 25- 7 - Paul Faires - p31
2nd 14- 3 - Chris Fox - p18
3rd 9- 6 - Steve Evans - p27



No comments: