Sunday 7 June 2015

6/6/15 - Fishponds

Weight - 57lb
Catch - 7 Carp, 1 Rudd
Weather - Sunny, but a stiff breeze
Match - Club - 5th out of 11

I have been a little lax with updating my blog recently. Work has been busy and I have to say I feel wiped out come the weekend, combine that with a poor days fishing leaves little enthusiasm to write a blog. 

Really not sure what's going on. Although the draw bag hasn't been kind, I don't what to blame poor pegs for poor performance, because that's far too easy. Either way fishing confidence is low and I cant seem to get a rub of the green at moment.

My last 3 matches, 2 at Viaduct and an evening match at Rood Ashton hadn't gone well. 2 weeks ago I guested in the Viaduct Winter League with a view to getting a feel for the venue prior to the first round of Tony's Float Only series. I drew p97, which was a good draw, but I had no expectations. I should have spent the day fishing the tip, but instead tried to make the waggler work, because you cant fish the tip in a float only series. Needless to say Andy Neal on p96 gave me a lesson.

I had planned to fish the Thursday cost cutter, but had forgotten to MOT the car since March, which I only discovered when taxing the car!

Onto last Sunday and the first round of Tony's Float Only. P78 was my home, which I had mixed feelings about. Its not the best area, particularly with 80-86 in my section, however the area has thrown up some decent silvers weights. With a strong wind blowing from behind I could also fish the waggler, however I was concerned the fish would be at the windward end of the lake. I didn't catch on the waggler, although I did bump a skimmer early on and a carp took me around the aerator. On the pole, decided to target the skimmers with 6mm pellet and paste. 20lb of skimmers later, I should have used meat, since there was 3x 30lb silvers weight, p86,88 & 94 all on meat. Having said that I learnt a few things for next time.

In between I fished Rood Ashton and drew one of the pegs I didn't want. Unfortunately a snag meant I spent more time pulling on branches than I did on fish. The lost fish probably cost me at least a section.

So onto today's afternoon/evening match, on a venue I love, where I have framed in every match in the last 3 years with an average of over 100lb. Peg 3 put me on a peg were I have caught some big weights and with the wind blowing down into the arm of the lake I was confident of a few fish.

A simple approach of paste or pellet at 8m and the same down the margins. Starting on paste I hooked and lost my first fish after 10mins, then had a 5lber on paste.

The following 1hr typified how things have been going for me. A switch to the pellet rig with 8mm pellet resulted in 4 hooked fish. 1x just pulled out, 2x snapped the line above the hooklength and the elastic snapped at the side puller on the 4th carp. The toys were very, very close to coming out of the pram! What the f*** have I got to do to get a break at the moment!

After taking a deep breath I got back to trying to catch, but knew I was falling behind, although it would have been easy to catch up if I could get a run of fish together.

With the wind blowing I fancied catching a few shallow and had been pinging pellet at 13m. For what ever reason I couldn't get another bite at 8m or down the margins, so was relying on the shallow line to produce and hopefully the margins would kick in later in the evening.

The rest of the match was a case of catch a carp or 2 slapping shallow, before switching to the margins/8m, feeding the long line to get the fish back, catch another carp shallow, before they disappeared and so on.

I just didn't get the feeling there was many carp in the area, or they weren't feeding. Needless to say disappointed to miss out on framing, because it means the poor run continues.

1st 211- 8 - Chris Davidge - p6
2nd 102-14 - Glen Putterill - p16
3rd 97-15 - Andy Bradley - p24
4th 76- 2 - Andy Lord - p1
5th 57- 0 - Ken Rayner - p3
6th 54- 8 - Roger Putterill - p20


No comments: