Monday 22 June 2015

21/06/15 - Ivy House - New Canal

Weight - 21lb 9oz (9lb - silvers)
Catch - 43 Roach, 5 Carp, 3 Perch, 2 Skimmers, 2 Tench, 2 Chub, 1 Rudd
Weather - Mostly sunny, but windy.
Match - Glenfall - 4th out of 16

Having not fished this lake for a number of years, I tried to find out how it was fishing. Most responses weren't printable, but of the few that were I was told to fish 6mm expander or corn over micros, although typically matches can be tricky, with the middle (wide) part of the lake being the place to draw. The lake holds plenty of tench, skimmers (plus the silvers from the old canal), a number of stockie carp and some double figure fish.

At the draw there was 16 of us, which meant only 2 space pegs, so a little tight. Peg 15 put me a couple pegs past the wide section.

Plumbing up revealed a fairly uniform depth with 2.5ft down the track and 2ft tight across and in the margins, so setting up rigs was straight forward. Since there was so many of us I decided to fish for bites setting up relatively light rigs (SM Pellet > .12 > 16 B911 to fish across and a SM Chimp 0.3g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet to fish down the track).

Starting across toss potting micros & 4s I struggled to get going only catching a small carp after 30mins on 6mm expander. Re-plumbing a different spot and I caught a few silvers, plus another carp, but generally it was very slow.

The cross wind was making it awkward, so changed to a wire stem rig (HB Frostie 0.2g) which sat better in the crosswind.

In the meantime I had kept feeding maggot at 5m for when I couldn't catch across. Switching to the 5m line and for an hour I caught mostly roach, plus 1 decent skimmer. Feeding a ball of groundbait kept the fish on the deck, but generally the fish were smaller than I hoped.

Having given the far bank a rest, I returned to catch a couple more carp, before snagging up on some underwater roots. Fortunately I was able to walk round, retrieving the rig with a 6oz chub still attached (even the small ones are quick to find the snags) and clearing some roots.

By the all out I knew Craig on p17 had beaten me, catching 6 carp, including a couple decent fish, plus a few decent skimmers and tench, but I wasn't sure about everyone else. As it turned out a couple of decent carp showed up including one of 15lb. I did hook one decent fish, but think it was foul hooked as it shot down the lake, before busting me.

To be honest, I don't think I made the most of the peg. I should have caught more in the opening 30mins. Also I'm not confident feeding maggots was the best approach, since there was more small roach than I expected.

At least it was a useful in sight in case I draw here for the float only next month.

1st 33-10 - Craig Davidge - p17
2nd 27-11 - Andy Lord - p11
3rd 24- 5 - Roger Putterill - p7
4th 21- 9 - Ken Rayner - p15
5th 18- 7 - Glenn Putterill - p3
6th 17- 6 - Andy Bradley - p5

No comments: