Saturday 27 June 2015

26/06/15 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 49lb 8oz
Catch - 11 Carp
Weather - Showers clearing later
Match - Airsprung - 7th out of 12

Booking a half day off work and then driving to Trowbridge from Weston-Super-Mare, expectations were high of a good evening match.

Stopping off at Wests Tackle for a coffee and found out only 68lb won yesterdays evening match. Walking around the lake with Hippy we had to peg around a couple of pleasure anglers on the lawns, but still had plenty of space and there were a few fish moving around. With the space I wasn't too concerned were I drew provided I avoided peg 6 on the top bank which I struggled from in the last 2 matches.

To say I was gutted to see 6 staring back at me would be an understatement. Being an evening match, my intention was to focus on the margins, but the problem with peg 6 is the lack of cover and I was doing my best to push the negative thoughts to the back of my mind. However a stiff breeze blowing from behind met I really wasn't confident.

3x rigs were set up to fish banded pellet, paste and meat. Since the depth was roughly the same all over the rigs covered fishing at 13m and the margins.

Starting at 13m, first put in I hooked a carp! Yay, perhaps it will be better than I thought. Err, no. I got the fish in on the top kit only for the hook to pull. Then I couldn't a proper bite on either the paste or pellet. It was strange. I was feeding 6s, there were fish milling around, but couldn't get a bite. Talking after the match this was a common theme.

In the meantime I had fed groundbait and a small amount meat down the left hand margin and 6s to my right. After 45mins of frustration fishing long I went down the left margin and landed a carp straight away only to be then pestered by roach. I kept rotating swims to try and find my next fish, but just couldn't get a proper bite. Another carp from the left margin brought my tally to 2 with an hour left to go.

The left margin was showing most signs of activity, even if it was from roach. I decided to re-plumb the margins only to discover I may have been fishing just off bottom if I didn't get very tight to the bank. Needless to say as soon I adjusted the rig I had a carp straight away! Oh dear, did I just make a big school boy error or was it coincidence? We will never know.

I also switched from feeding pellet down the right margin to feeding groundbait and I couldn't get my rig in quick enough catching 9 carp in the last hour rotating left and right. I had the best weight on the top bank, so not convinced there was as many carp in the area.

1st 75-0 - Ryan Heard - p3
2nd 69-12 - Nick Merry - p4
2nd 69-12 - Mark Poppleton - p9
4th 68- 8 - Tom Ince - p1
5th 58-10 - Rich Whitmarsh - p11
6th 53- 6 - Dan Blackwell - p12

No comments: