Sunday 14 June 2015

13/06/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 25lb 11oz - silvers (44lb 10oz overall)
Catch - 10 Skimmers, 10 Roach, 7 Perch, 6 F1, 1 Tench, 5 Carp
Weather - Mostly cloudy.
Match - Open - 2nd out of 12 - silvers

Back to one of my favourite venues, with a view to practicing for tomorrows float only series and hopefully break the poor run.

Into the draw bucket and out came peg 3, 'oh ffs!'. It looked like the poor run was going to continue. Must admit I wasn't happy, but was determined to make a better go of it than I did the last time, when I was absolutely battered.

Starting across by the island, I initially couldn't get a proper bite on pellet, so switched to paste resulting in 2 carp, losing 4 others, but generally struggled to get a proper bite. After an hour it was time to see whether there was any skimmers over the loose fed 6s fed at 5m and down the right margin. Fishing with 6mm hair rig pellet (Ackoo Carbon Carrat 0.2g > .12 > 18 B911) I soon caught a decent skimmer. By swapping between the 2 swims I kept the fish coming, including a few F1's. It wasn't hectic just steady, but at least I was catching and after another hour or so bites slowed down.

A switch down the left margin, where I had been feeding caster, only resulted in small perch and roach, which was a surprise because I had expected a few better fish.

At the half way point, I tried for carp again by the island and again struggled to get a proper bite. There seemed to be little point pursuing the carp anymore, because those to my right, in particular Lewis Jones on p5 were catching really well.

Back on the 5m line produced a couple more F1s and skimmers, but it was slow going.

A new swim by the p2 pallet and 14m to my left at the bottom of the far shelf were both fed with pellet. The pallet swim didn't produce a single fish, whilst the 14m line brought a couple more skimmers, a F1 and a tench, before the carp moved in.

Back into the caster swim , still only produced small fish which meant regular bites, but I just felt I needed some better quality fish, so switched back to pellet. Another new swim to my right at 14m produced an F1, however now it was getting late in the day the carp were becoming more active.

In the end Nigel Bartlett beat me for the silvers, catching mostly on caster, but at least this time I enjoyed my day and actually felt I fished a decent match from a poor peg, restoring some confidence. 

1st 138- 9 - Jamie Parkhouse - p15
2nd 131- 6 - Lewis Jones - p5
3rd 96-12 - Rich Lovering - p11
4th 96- 4 - Rod Wootton - p7
5th 74- 1 - Paul Homewood - p13
6th 64- 3 - Jim Jenner - p17

Silvers
1st 31-10 - Nigel Bartlett - p19
2nd 25-11 - Ken Rayner - p3
3rd 21- 8 - Rod Wootton - p7

 

No comments: