Monday 20 April 2015

18/04/15 - Windmill - Match Lake

Weight - 20lb 8oz
Catch - 5 Carp
Weather - Sunny, but cool and very windy
Match - Big Money Qualifier - 8th out of 14

Cold and windy - it must be the weekend. Like last week, mid week was nice and settled, but come the weekend the wind picks up. This time is was a cool north westerly.

I drew peg 2, which Paul Elmes struggled from last week. Apparently it is a good peg, if you can reach the island 16-17m away. There was no chance of that today. Plumbing up a short line and margins, revealed 7ft of water at 5m, sloping up to the margins, with no shelf's.

Ideally I would have liked to fish on the slope in 5ft of water, but the wind and tow meant it was difficult to gain any presentation. I did foul hook 2 carp fishing at the bottom of the slope, which just confirmed my thoughts the carp didn't want to feed in such depth of water.

Despite the wind, I could at least catapult 8mm pellet to the island and fish straight lead over the top, which produced 4 carp. My fifth  came from the right hand margin on meat.

Only my second visit to the venue and it would nice to see its true potential, without being blown away.

The only thing I could have done differently was fish the feeder. Scott Maunders to my right on p32 caught on the meat feeder, but to be honest feeder fishing isn't my bag, much preferring to catch on the pole. Fingers crossed for a calm day in 2 weeks when I try again.

Well done to Pau who qualified from the end peg, which is opposite where last week winner came from, whilst Barry came 2nd from a peg 2 away from last weeks 2nd.

1st 74-15 - Paul Elmes - p10
2nd 68-12 - Barry Richards - p24
3rd 54-15 - Scott Maunders - p32
4th 33-13 - Sean Wilson - p27
5th 29- 7 - Andy Lord - p21
6th 29- 1 - Craig Challingsworth - p23 



No comments: