Tuesday 7 April 2015

05/04/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 90lb 12oz
Catch - 16 Carp, 7 F1, 2 Roach, 1 Skimmer, 1 Chub
Weather - Mostly sunny
Match - Open - 5th out of 26

Today was the unused reserve date for the winter league and at last the weather is improving. 26 had booked in, which meant 13 on each of Match and Johns (no3) Lake.

I found myself on p13, which had been very consistent so far this winter and on arrival there was a number of carp basking in the sun. Yesterday's match had only been won with 70lb and was a struggle for most in a cold northerly wind. The silvers was won from p11 opposite with 39lb. I didn't expect the skimmers to feed in any numbers again (well not at this end of the lake), so set up various rigs to target the carp on pellet and meat, although I did set up silvers pellet rig just in case, but only had 2 roach on it.
For company I had Mike Duckett on p15 and John Bradford on p11. On the all in I had a carp straight away on the stalker rig & 8mm pellet, but they quickly sunk away. Slapping the rig resulted in another carp, but I was getting some quick bites, so switched a more conventional rig to fish 6mm pellet on top of the shelf by the island and down the left hand bank. A run of F1s revealed the reason for the quick bites, but only a couple carp. Mike was also catching a few F1s and carp off the island, but after 2hrs the fish seem to have drifted away.

The rest of the match was spent continually rotating swims, because I couldn't catch more than 1 or 2 fish before having to swap. From the start I had fed meat/pellet down the right hand margin, but this only produced 1 carp. However I had noticed a number of carp sitting under the left hand bush in range of my top 3, but couldn't tempt them out of their sanctuary so fed some meat a little further along the bank, which produced 5 carp.

Must admit it was a little frustrating that I couldn't catch consistently, I had hoped by keep pinging the pellet to the island and down the left hand bank I would catch late on, but I must have overdone it, because the carp were happier the other side of the rope with John who was doing his best to avoid them.

Despite a few failed attempts to catch at 5m on meat, they eventually turned up with 15mins to go, when I landed 4 carp to overtake Mike, but knew I was a long way behind Bela and Tony.

1st 216-12 - Bela Bakos - p19
2nd 146-11 - Tony Rixon - p18
3rd 143-12 - Craig Edmunds - p7
4th 114-13 - Rich Heatley - p21
5th 90-12 - Ken Rayner - p13
6th 76-12 - Mike Duckett - p15

Silvers
1st 54-15 - Rod Wootton - p22
2nd 32- 2 - Craig Edmunds - p7
3rd 19- 4 - Dave Hodgson - p3
4th 17- 0 - Bela Bakos - p19 




No comments: