Sunday 22 March 2015

22/03/15 -Fishponds

Weight - 87lb 10oz
Catch - 13 Carp
Weather - Cool breeze and mostly sunny
Match - Club - 3rd out of 11

A change of scenery this week, with a club match at our lake and 11 members turned up.

Peg 7 was one of a few pegs I didn't want. At least the reeds had been cut back, which meant I could fish top 5 down the margins, but options in the peg are limited because it was 6ft deep all over and only slightly shallower in the margins. Ideally I would have preferred a 3ft deep margin shelf, which I think the fish would have preferred today.

The side tray had a simple selection of bait, 6mm pellet, 8mm meat and some expanders.

Starting at 13m I had a carp first put in on meat, but that was the only carp on this line all match! I tried toss potting bait, then pinging pellet and then dumping a pot full, but just could get the fish to settle in the deep water, which to be honest I half expected, because the fish here like to patrol the marginal shelves.

After the first hour I had 2 carp, then 5 more in the second hour and I thought here we go. However it never happened. By swapping left and right in the margin I would get a bite out of the blue. Even when I missed bite and go straight back in I had to wait for the next bite. I just got the feeling the fish were just swimming through the margins without stopping.

A frustrating day, when I'm sure I would have caught more had I some shallower water to fish into.

1st 163- 2 - Graham Millard - p12
2nd 96- 4 - Chris Davidge - p1
3rd 87-10 - Ken Rayner - p7
4th 80- 6 - Tim Allen - p4
5th 63- 3 - Craig Davidge - p21

No comments: