Monday 9 March 2015

08/03/15 - Lands End - Johns Lake

Weight - 48lb (22lb 14oz - silvers)
Catch - 9 Carp, 16 Skimmers, 14 F1s, 10 Roach, 8 Rudd, 3 Crucians, 1 Perch
Weather - Mostly sunny, with occasional showers and a little breezy
Match - 1st out of 8 - silvers

With a club match on Match Lake, we had our 'knock up' on Johns Lake and with matches at Viaduct and Trinity Waters, it meant only 8 anglers turned up. But at least we had plenty of room.

I fancied any peg from 50, 55, 58 or 62 to frame, but ended up on 70, which has shown some recent form, although the carp tend to be on the small side. However, I felt my best chance of a pick up would be the silvers, since most the F1s and skimmers live at this end of the lake.

Rigs for the day:-
- SM Chimp 0.4g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet (open water)
- SM Chimp 0.3g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet (tight to the spit)
- Ackoo Carrat 0.3g > .14 > 16 B911 (weed bed/margin - meat)

On the all-in 4s and micros were cupped in at 13m by the weed bed and 14m off the point of the spit. Starting on a half depth rig along the end bank, dobbing 6mm expander I soon snagged on an underwater branch. I didn't bother again (unless I needed to).

Next I thought I would try the meat rig between the weed bed and margin, hoping for an early mug fish and was disappointed to see the float go under and a rudd came flying out of the water. 2nd put in a perch came flying out of the water.

Since there were no carp in the area it was time to try the 13m line by the weed bed with 4mm expander. Over the next hour I caught mostly skimmers with the odd F1, crucian and roach, feeding 4s every other put in.

In the meantime I fed the 14m swim with 4s every other put in. After 90mins or so the fish seemed to getting smaller, so switched to the 14m swim and immediately picked up a number of F1s and a few more skimmers, before they back off.

The next area to try was tight to the spit in the corner, which produced a few more F1s. By the half way stage I had 40 fish, which only included 1 carp, however my catch rate was slowing down. Dave Wescott on p68 was catching mostly small fish and Brian Hadley on p41 was probably ahead of me catching carp.

The carp had replaced my silvers along the spit, before they backed away as well. With an hour to go I tried my meat line again, but it was full of silvers, which I targeted with caster, but they were too small to build a sensible weight, so rotated back to my 3 long lines picking up a few fish before the end.

In the end it was a really enjoyable days fishing with plenty of bites. I estimated my carp would go 20-25lb, but had no idea how much my silvers would go and was pleased to weigh my best silvers weight from Johns lake.

It was also the first time this year, when the fish actually wanted feeding. Yay, spring is definitely on its way! 

1st 99- 0 - Andy Hembrow - p50
2nd 60-11 - Rod Wootton - p62
3rd 58- 9 - Nigel Bartlett - p8
4th 50- 8 - Brian Hadley - p41

Silvers
1st 22-14 - Ken Rayner - p70
2nd 10- 5 - Mike Duckett - p46
3rd 9-13 - Nigel Bartlett - p58

No comments: