Sunday 1 March 2015

28/02/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 28lb 8oz (7lb 3oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 5 F1, 2 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Mostly dry and sunny. Showery later
Match - Open - 6th out of 12 (5th - silvers)

On arrival we were met with mild conditions and the expectation for a good day, unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.

Have to say I was quite disappointed to draw p5, which hasn't been the best peg this winter and felt the only way of a pick up would be to target the silvers, although with the milder conditions I was hoping the carp would be less reluctant to move around.

The first hour was spent looking for a carp and I had 1 from the corner of the island on meat, but in the shallow water I could see the fish swimming from p19, stop and turn back as they saw the pole tip. Nick Duckett on P7 already had 3 or 4 fish, as had Brian opposite on p19.

The rest of the match was quiet. I fed various areas with either caster or meat or pellet. The only place I could catch (2 carp and 3 F1s) was in the middle of the gap, either on 4mm expander of dead maggot (HB Frostie 0.3g > .10 > 18 silverfish pellet) over micros/4s, but had to wait a long time for bites. I did pull out of what I think was a decent skimmer and then lost an F1 which dived under my nets transferring the hook almost chub like!

In the meantime Andy Hembrow on P3 had a 30min spell when he caught 4 decent skimmers, but other than that most were struggling and I still felt I had a chance of either framing or picking up the silvers, if I could put a run of fish together.

Throughout the match I had been pinging 4s to the corner of the island in the expectation the carp would turn up, they never did. My final 2 F1s, pulling out of a 3rd came in the last 30mins by fishing shallow with maggot in the gap without feeding.

A frustrating day and everyone came away with the same experience of the fish backing off the feed. In hindsight I should have concentrated on fishing caster/maggot by the island, just catching what I could, because there seemed to be plenty of fishing moving around, just not willing to feed.

1st 71-3 - Nick Duckett - p7
2nd 47-12 - Nick Ewers - p15
3rd 43- 8 - Gary O'Shea - p13
4th 34-13 - Dave Wescott - p11
5th 32-13 - Rod Wootton - p24
6th 28- 8 - Ken Rayner - p5

Silvers
1st 11- 0 - Andy Hembrow - p3
2nd 9-12 - Gary O'Shea - p13
3rd 8-15 - Dave Wescott - p11

No comments: