Tuesday 24 February 2015

22/02/15 - Lands End - Speci

Weight - 91lb 9oz
Catch - 13 Carp, 1 Tench, 1 Roach
Weather - Frosty start, wet, cold and windy.
Match - Winter League rd 4 - 5th out of 34, 1st out of 6 section

It’s the 4th round of the Winter League and the weather should be improving, however after a week of relatively mild conditions it was back to scrapping the ice off the windscreen this morning. I was also left wondering whether I would regret not packing the ice breaker. Fortunately Mike had the aerators on overnight, so no ice but circulating all that cold water could have been the reason why the silvers didn’t feed in any numbers.

It was back to a random draw and looking at the league tables I couldn’t afford to drop any more points and was quiet relieved to see 31 staring back at me. After all the ice this morning the weather forecast was for a strong southerly wind and rain to come in by lunch time. Unfortunately the forecast was spot on, but at least with the wind blowing directly from behind I could reach the island at 16m without too many dramas.

For company I had Chris Fox on p29 (I swear he talks himself into a poor draw) and Dale Howson to my right on p32.

After feeding some pellet/groundbait at 14m left and pellet/caster 14m to my right, plus some caster/prawn at 6m, I started straight across by the island (4x10 > .12 > 16 B911) with 6mm expander and landed a fish after 10mins. Tony opposite on p34 had already landed 2 and was playing his 3rd!
 
I was getting a few liners, but couldn’t hook a fish properly and landed a foul hooker 30mins later. Fishing half depth didn’t help either, so after persevering for a further 30mins decided it was time to back off and try the deep water rig, where hopefully a few skimmers had settled. Well the deep water swims proved to be very difficult, hooking 4 carp, but only landing 1 foulhooker. There were no skimmers and the only silvers I could catch was a tench and a tiny roach, both on maggot.
 
My 6m “perch” line didn’t produce, so that was converted to a meat line, hoping for a few late carp, which never turned up. I had also tried the margin by the p30 pallet, but again not a bite, even on maggot, which just left the island.
 
With 2 hours to go, I still only had 3 carp which was leading the section, whilst Dale had 2. Fortunately a few carp on Tony’s side of the island got bored and moved round. Over the next 90mins I landed a further 10 all on 6mm expander, which was just as well as Dale had also started to catch. All the fish except for 1 came from the point of the island, which hadn’t been fed. The area which had been fed with 4s only produced 1 carp.
 
A comfortable section win and 2nd on the lake behind Tony, but everyone was glad to hear the all out, since the weather was appalling. I had considered putting up an umbrella, but decided against it as I looked around to see Triggers (p28) wrapped around him after a particularly strong gust of wind.
 
1st 213- 1 - Tony Rixon - p34
2nd 110- 0 - Paul Elmes - p15
3rd 96- 9 - Nick Chedzoy - p19
4th 92-10 - Steve Seagar - p11
5th 91- 9 - Ken Rayner - p31
6th 67- 5 - Gary O'Shea - p13
 
Silvers
1st 10-10 - Russ Peck - p42
2nd 9-11 - Dave Hodgson - p5
3rd 8-12 - Gordon Cannings - p3
4th 7- 9 - Dan White - p22
5th 7- 3 - Mike Duckett - p68
6th 6-12 - Nick Chedzoy

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.