Monday 9 February 2015

08/02/15 - Lands End - Johns

Weight - 6lb 12oz
Catch - 1 Carp, 2 Perch, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Iced over. Cold bright and sunny
Match - Winter League rd 3 - 21st out of 35, 5th out of 6 section

Getting really bored of this weather now and by the looks of it Lands End wasn't the only fishery to suffer at the hands of a week which saw most nights below freezing. Half the field in one winter league blanked, so the fact only 2 blanked at Lands End meant at least there was some bites to be had, but with a 15lb average it fished harder than I have known it for a couple years. The good news however is at least the remaining 3 matches should be in milder condition and the fish will be wanting a munch soon - fingers crossed.
As for today, it was the 3rd round of the winter league and the ice wasn’t too thick, but decided to put the start time back 30mins to allow time for some ice breaking. The rotation put me on Johns No3 Lake and there was only 2 pegs I didn’t fancy, 45 & 61, so was disappointed to find myself on 45. Nick Ewers came 2nd in section from the peg in the last round, but its normally a peg to avoid, particularly if 46 is in, which it was.

I managed to break myself a decent channel towards the island and was quite pleased with my efforts. 3 rigs were set up with .12 bottom > 18 B911 and .10 bottom > 20 silverfish bottom. The third rig was to fish tight to the island.

For company I had Kev Molton to my left on 46 and Dan White opposite on p66. After sprinkling some micros a metre off the island, I started on 4mm expander. After 15mins I started getting a few liners and promptly hooked 6.5lb carp in the tail. I know it was 6.5lb because it was the only carp landed.

I had fed some black lake and pinkie at 6m, but that didn’t produce a bite, so started to feed meat over the line, more in hope than expectation I might tempt a carp towards the end of the match. I didn’t – no real surprise, but at least I gave myself a chance.

Fishing tight to the island didn’t produce a bite either and as the ice melted a little I could fish further to my right along the island, which produced a small skimmer on maggot. I even tried casting the lead & corn into the gap, but a sheet of ice came down the lake and plugged the gap, so I only managed 20mins fishing there.

With 75mins to go I did hook another carp over the micros & 4s that I had been trickling in all match. The fish felt like it was hooked properly, but for what ever reason the hook pulled as I was shipping back. I can only think the fish was very light hooked and it may have cost me 2nd in section.

Not a great day. Kev managed 3lb 4oz and Dan had 2lb 7oz, so not many feeding fish in the area.  

1st 83- 9 - Nick Chedzoy - p31
2nd 68- 7 - Ian Brownsey - p33
3rd 66-14 - Tony Rixon - p62
4th 45- 7 - Adrian Jefferies - p70
5th 28- 8 - Steve Seagar - p11
6th 24-14 - John Bradford - p41

Silvers
1st 11- 8 - Rod Wootton - p19
2nd 9-14 - Gary O'Shea - p37
3rd 9-10 - Bob Gullick - p28
4th 9- 4 - Mike Duckett - p36
5th 8- 5 - Gordon Cannings - p20
6th 8- 1 - Chris Kon - p42

No comments: