Monday 2 February 2015

01/02/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 46lb 6oz
Catch - 8 Carp, 2 Perch
Weather - Cold and mostly sunny. Fortunately sheltered from the wind.
Match - Open - 3rd out of 8

We had 12 booked in for todays match, the cold weather obviously put off one person, someone had to visit their Nan - really James? As for Mike West, senility is obviously catching up with him. For some reasons he thought Sundays match was cancelled, rather than Saturdays. As a consequence he went to Summerhayes, taking Tom Mangnall with him, which just left the 8 of us.

There was some debate about which pegs to put in, because the carp would move into the empty spaces. With the NW wind which has been blowing all week I didn't fancy the surprise form pegs of 1 or 24, so was happy to be on p11, which was also sheltered from the wind. In fact I was getting quite warm in the sun, taking off my coat and woolly hat.

Opposite on p13 was Dave 'Beany' Wescott and John Bradford was to my left on p6. I ended up starting 5mins late, mainly because I had to set up a number of rigs to cover the 'deep hole' at 16m by the rope and rigs to cover the rest of the peg.

After feeding micros & maggot at 14m towards the aerator, I started with corn in the deep hole. Nick Duckett had caught well from this area last week, however after 30mins and no bites, only a couple of liners, it was time to feed, again pellet & maggot. Unfortunately, I only had 1 carp from this swim at 3/4 depth on maggot, I tried pinging 4s over the top and even maggot in the last hour to try and pull in some fish from the other side of the rope.

A switch to the 14m line (HB Frostie 0.3g > .10 > 18 silverfish pellet) produced a carp, followed by another 10mins later. By toss potting micros and maggot, I caught another 3 before the swim died.

I had fed caster by the p10 pallet, but this only produced 1 lost perch and with half the match gone I was now struggling for a bite. Looking down the lake, John had caught a few silvers and Andy Hembrow had caught a few from p1. Dave had 1 carp and a couple of silvers, whilst Russ Peck on p16 had roughly the same as me, but apparently Nick Duckett was catching well on p18, which meant we were all fishing for 2nd.

Since I couldn't get a bite anywhere I fed another swim towards the end, which produced a carp almost immediately and then a decent perch, but nothing else.

I just got the feeling the fish had backed off beyond pole range, so quickly set up a lead rod and cast further along the end bank. 20mins later I had 2 carp, 1 squeaker and a proper one of 10lb, both on corn. But again no further fish.

By the all out, Russ thought he had 45lb, whilst I felt I had 40lb. As it happened we both had 8 carp, but Russ had a couple decent F1s which made the difference.

Overall considering the conditions, the lake fished reasonably well, but needed a couple more anglers to fill in the blank spaces. Well done to Nick for winning very convincingly.

1st 116- 4 - Nick Duckett -p18
2nd 47- 2 - Russ Peck - p16
3rd 46- 6 - Ken Rayner - p11
4th 27-14 - Andy Hembrow - p1
5th 13- 5 - Dave Wescott - p13

Silvers
1st 10- 8 - Nick Duckett - p18
2nd 5-12 - John Bradford - p6
3rd 5- 6 - Andy Hembrow - p1

No comments: