Tuesday 24 February 2015

21/02/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 16lb 11oz (11lb 6oz - silvers)
Catch - 2 Carp, 27 Perch, 8 Roach, 2 F1s
Weather - Cold start. Mostly sunny, cold westerly breeze
Match - 2nd out of 8 - silvers

After having last weekend off attending a wedding in Poole, I was looking forward to getting back out on the bank. The weather over the last week has been milder and typically come the weekend its cold again, but I was still expecting a few fish to feed.

Into the bucket and out came peg 1, which I wasn't happy about. Although the peg has produced recently, the forecast strong wind would be blowing straight down the lake into me, which meant a difficult day was likely. Opposite on p24 was Brian Hadley and Dave Wescott on p22.

Initially started on corn, then expander looking for a carp, fishing as long as I could along the end bank, but after 45mins it became obvious there wasn't any around or at least I couldn't present a bait properly to them.

Micros and groundbait at 13m in open water, only produced a couple of roach and perch. In the end, I spent most of my time fishing by the right hand tree where I had been feeding caster, catching mostly perch up to 1.5lb on maggot.

When the wind did drop I caught 2 F1s in quick succession from the bottom of the far shelf on 4mm expander where I had been pinging 4s. Unfortunately the wind picked up again, which wasn't frustrating!

At least I had a few bites and from what I could see not many silvers had been caught so was hopeful of a pick up. As expected the more sheltered end of the lake produced the best weights. Fortunately although Nigel managed 23lb of skimmers & perch, he came 2nd overall, which meant I picked up by de-fault.

1st 64- 6 - Rod Wootton - p13
2nd 46- 2 - Nigel Bartlett - p15
3rd 30- 9 - Mike West - p6
4th 28- 8 - Ray White - p11
5th 16-11 - Ken Rayner - p1

Silvers
1st 23- 8 - Nigel Bartlett - p15
2nd 11- 6 - Ken Rayner - p1

No comments: