Tuesday 27 January 2015

25/01/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 34lb 6oz (7lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 6 Carp, 12 Roach, 4 Skimmers, 2 Perch, 1 F1, 1 Rudd
Weather - Mostly cloudy
Match - Winter League rd 2 - 16th out of 35 (3rd in section)

It seems a long time since the first round of this league started, but at least the remaining 5 rounds will be spread over the next 10 weeks, which was designed to avoid the worst of the winter weather and hopefully provide some decent fishing during February and March.

It was my turn for Match Lake and I had Tony Rixon in the knock out, but knew I was likely to be knocked out when he drew P15. I was even more certain of being knocked out when I was left with P20. Oh well at least the rigs from yesterday, when I fished p21 were still on my top kits, so setting up wouldn’t take long.

Looking at my section, I really felt I was up against it, with Tony on p15, Dan White on p17, Adrian Jefferies on p19 and Kev Molton on the current form peg p24. In the fact the only person I was confident of beating was John Bradford on p22, but that was only because I knew he would doing his best to avoid the carp.

With more anglers on the lake, there should be fewer spaces for the carp to hide away in and with a much lighter wind I decided to start on corn (Ackoo Carbon Carrat 0.2g > .12 > 18 B911) searching the swim hoping for an early carp.

After a few twitches on the float a positive bite was met with a firm strike and carp on. It was only about 4lb, but a start none the less. Another 2 followed, plus an F1 over the next 30mins before it went quiet.

I had started feeding a pinch of caster/micros left and right at the bottom of the shelf and just continually swapped between the 2 swims. When the swims had died a switch to maggot produced more silvers, plus a couple more carp. However, I was falling behind Tony and Kev, and hoped for a few more silvers, because from what I could see not many had been caught, with the exception of  Chris Fox on p5 who had caught a few F1s and a big ide. I tried feeding a ¼ cup of micros/caster/dead maggot to my right at 45 angle like yesterday, but it wasn’t as successful, with only 1 skimmer and a few roach.

Once again fishing under the platform of p21 failed to produce and I only had a couple of roach fishing across to the island.

By the all out, it was obvious that Tony had won my section and there appeared to be a lot of fish at either end of the lake at the moment, with Adrian Clark catching all day on P1 and Trigger on P13 also catching non-stop. Those of us in the middle of the lake struggled a little, but I was pleased enough to claim 3rd in section, but also gained maximum section points for silvers. The next round on Johns Lake will decide whether I stick with the silvers league or concentrate on the overall league, but I will probably need at least a 2nd in section to stay in contention.

There was some mixed fortunes today, particular those on speci lake which fished very hard for the majority, but overall 2 tons and 2 90s in January is pretty good, with an average weight of 35lb.

1st 115- 7 - Craig Edmunds - p13
2nd 111- 2 - Adrian Clark - p1
3rd 94-10 - Nick Duckett - p11
3rd 94-10 - Pete Nurse - p33
5th 75- 0 - Rod Wootton - p32
6th 60- 9 - Tony Rixon - p15

Silvers
1st 15-14 - Jason Radford - p70
2nd 11- 3 - Chris Fox - p5
3rd 10- 1 - Nick Duckett - p11
4th 7-10 - Ken Rayner - p20
5th 7- 6 - Gary O'Shea - p42
6th 7- 5 - Nick Ewer - p45

No comments: