Monday 19 January 2015

18/01/15 - Two Counties

Weight - 11lb 11oz
Catch - 3 Carp, 1 Perch
Weather - Cold all week. Freezing start, mostly bright & sunny
Match - Open - 8th out of 15

Whilst everyone else decided to play aquatic bingo in the first round of the viaduct winter league, I decided to try Two Counties fishery again. I would have fished Viaduct but a clash of dates meant I couldn't commit to all the rounds.

A cold, windy week, was replaced by freezing rain, but at least today was clear and calm, which meant fishing was likely to hard.

Nick Merry organised todays match and with 15 booked in, meant we could book the whole lake and plenty of space for everyone. With a northerly breeze forecast, I was quite happy to draw on the far bank, which meant any wind should be off my back and the hedge would also act as a wind break.

My peg was opposite the corner of the island which was 19-20m away and most of the peg plumbed up at 7ft, so I was quite optimistic of catching.

Well, as expected it was difficult. Caught my first carp after 2hrs on maggot over micros/maggot. The second followed 10mins later and thought I would carry on catching. However, my third carp  on 4mm expander over loose fed 4s, arrived 90mins later and that was it.

I tried bread/corn on the lead, even down the margins, but couldn't get another bite.

Andy Fox to my right feed enough for everyone and not necessarily all in the same spot - lol, but he did manage 2 carp on method tight to the island. Generally it wasn't good at my end of the lake, but had plenty of laughs with Andy, Steve Ince and Trev.

Well done to Nick for winning very convincingly and I will be pleased when it warms up a bit.

1st 104-14 - Nick Merry
2nd 60-12 - Dave Burford
3rd 22-10 - Dave Anders
4th 19-12 - Tom Ince
5th 14- 8 - Bob Wheeler
6th 12-10 - Trev

No comments: