Saturday 29 July 2023

26/07/23 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 440lb
Catch - 124 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Warm, sunny start, rain later.
Match - Garbolino Clubman Qualifer (75 fished) - 6th Overall, 2nd in section

I have to say the qualifying criteria or name of the Garbolino Clubman competition probably needs reviewing, as its not strictly a ‘clubman’ competition as there were several ‘open’ anglers, including myself fishing. My view is I’m not good enough to compete in the Fisho or Maver qualifiers as there are so many other really good anglers who are able to fish much more regularly than me and this competition is at least a chance to compete in a national competition.
 
To qualify for the Barston final I needed to win my section and I was more than happy to draw with p48, with my section running from p48 to p54. However, Dave Wilmott turned up on p49 and it’s usually very close between us when we fish Ivy House, although he has beaten me on the last few occasions, particularly on Heron lake.
 
After my 2 practice matches, I had a plan of attack in mind, which revolved around paste. I could have gone down the pellet route, which if the venue fished exceptionally and over 500lb was needed would be quicker. However, I have a lot of confidence fishing paste and based on recent results felt confident of doing well on it and felt if I got it right 25 fish per hour was possible. So that was my target.
 
On the all-in I started at 2+1, but soon came back to 1+1 when I realised, I wasn’t fishing where I plumbed up! After an hour I had 24 fish despite having a 10min spell where I was foul hooking fish, losing 5 on the bounce, so I cut back on the feed (6mm pellet) which was much better. I also trashed 2 rigs that snapped around the eye, which also slowed me down.
 
Going into the 2nd hour I started down the margins, alternating left and right on a top kit plus a short no.3. Again, I had periods where I suffered from foul hookers, but when I got the feed right or even stopped feeding altogether, I got bites instantly and by the halfway point was up to 75 fish.
 
The 4th hour proved to be a struggle as I couldn’t get a clean bite and got more foul hookers. Switching to fishing off the end of my keepnets during the final hour produced another 30 carp to finish with 124.
 
Come the all out I had got through 7-8pts of paste and less than 2pts of pellet.
 
I was the first to weigh in our section and 440lb was a PB 5hr match weight and also very briefly the record Clubman match record, so really happy. Dave was next and he had the same number of nets. With his last net Dave needed 58lb and so far his biggest net was 55lb, however he saved the best to last to weigh 64lb and 446lb in total, beating me by 6lb.
 
Well done to Dave, but I must admit I was gutted to miss out by such a tight margin. I was also 1 out of picking up in the main frame, as 620lb won the match. There were 3x 500lbs and Dave was 5th, which meant I at least picked up the section money by default.
 
On reflection you start thinking about what I should have done different. To be honest I was annoyed to have 2 lost fish because of the line snapping around the float eye during the first hour, as it shouldnt have happened. I also lost a few fish and should have switched swims a little sooner than I did. That said, Dave lost a few fish and had problems with foul hookers, so its all swings and roundabouts. 

 

No comments: