Monday 10 July 2023

09/07/23 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 93lb 3oz
Catch - 19 Carp
Weather - Mostly sunny, breezy, 1 shower
Match - Match Den (18 fished) - 1st overall

A nice short trip to Rood Ashton and I hoped it would fish better than when I was last here in April. There were supposed to be 20 fishing today, however a van breakdown reduced our numbers to 18.

Peg 4 for me which was the same peg as I struggled from the last time I fished here, so I was a little disappointed. Starting on a 20g method with micros and orange 6mm wafter at 40m produced a bite after 15mins, but the hooked pulled at the net.

With no more bites on the feeder, I tried paste at 12m where I fed 4s and I lost another carp at the net, before eventually netting a 12ozer and that was it after an hour. The second and third hour I only managed to add a further 4 on the method.

Other than 1 lost fish on the feeder to an unseen snag I didn’t catch anything during the fourth hour and news was filtering down that the lake was fishing hard with 30-40lb being the best weight from my side of lake.

Fortunately, a few fish turned up down my margins in the last 2 hours, catching on paste over 4s under the left-hand branches and double 8mm meat over meat (feeding 3 small tins) tight to right hand margin. The paste produced more fish, however the fish on the meat were a bigger stamp. 

So at least I had an enjoyable finish to the match and to be honest I was a little surprised to have won as I expected the far bank to have fished better than it did.

1.   
93- 3 – Ken Rayner
2.    70- 6 – Matt Greaves
3.    55-15 – Terry Arnold
4.    55-10 – Dan Barnet
5.    52-  0 – Steve Venn

No comments: