Saturday 8 July 2023

07/07/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 106lb 0oz (15lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 22 Carp, 14 Skimmers, 1 Perch
Weather - Warm and sunny
Match - Twlight Open (13 fished) - 5th overall

After a long hard week at work, I was looking forward to this twilight open, fished 3.45 – 8.45, which should have been renamed the skivers open, as there were 13 of us at the draw.

The form area has been around the top end of the lake around pegs 8 & 9, but I just wanted to avoid the low teens, so was happy enough with p1 which is a steady peg.

Starting on the method to island produced 2 carp in the first 30mins, however I couldn’t get as tight as I wanted due to overhanging vegetation and didn’t bother for the rest of the match.

I had fed 4s at 3+2 slightly to my left and caught a few skimmers, but no carp. So, I tried down the end bank on corn or paste, but just got pestered by silvers, even catching a perch on paste, so I didn’t waste too much time here.

Back to the short paste line produced a few skimmers, but only 1 carp. I had also been pinging 6s at 14m to fish shallow, which was unsuccessful. However, I noticed some fizzing so decided to try paste and caught straight away. It seemed the carp preferred to settle further out.

I set up a new short line slightly to my right feeding 4s, as I felt the carp would prefer to settle further away from the end bank and kept catapulting 6s over the long line. A pattern emerged where I would catch a couple of carp before catching a skimmer and then swap to the other line. 

After a slow start I had an enjoyable match and speaking to those that framed they all fed more bait than me, so I do wonder whether I should have been more aggressive. That said the average stamp of my fish was a little below the average, probably because the bigger stamp followed the wind down the other end.

1.    175- 0 – Matt Hamilton – p2
2.    161- 0 – Dwayne Seed – p9
3.    130- 0 – Jamie Durrup – p8
4.    118- 0 – Chris Telling – p12
5.    106- 0 – Ken Rayner – p1

No comments: