Monday 25 April 2022

24/04/22 - Durleigh

Weight - 2oz
Catch - 1 Skimmer
Weather - Moderate North easterly wind. Mostly sunny.
Match - So Simpe League - rd 3 (18 fished) - 3rd in section

After the last practice match everyone wanted to draw the top end in the shallows, as that seemed to be where most of the fish seemed to be. Unfortunately, I drew p2 which was the first peg on the lawns and I knew another hard day was on the cards.

To be honest I was just glad to be out fishing, as I went down with Covid last weekend and was quite ill, losing 10lb in weight as I couldn’t eat and barely drank for 3 days which knocked the stuffing out of me. Have to say by the time I got to my peg I was blowing a bit.

As for the match there is not much to write about. Initially set up 2 lines, the first at 66m fed with micros & 4s and another line at 40m fed with groundbait, hemp and dead maggot.

With 2hrs remaining everyone was blanking, although Dave Wykes next to me managed a 6lb pike which didn’t count, not that he was unhappy about it!

I kept chopping and changing trying to get a bite, I even fished an 8mm orange gofter on the method and left it for 45mins hoping for a carp, without success.

With 45mins remaining I hooked a small fish at 72m on a cage feeder and long tail, which came off and thought I had blown my chances, as a couple of fish had now been caught. Fortunately, next cast a little knock on the tip produced a 2oz skimmer, which secured 3rd in section, avoiding the dreaded blank.

Needless to say, I’m not sure anyone really enjoyed the fishing. The water is crystal clear at the moment and we were probably a month too early.

1.    13-12 – Gary Dennis – p12
2.    10-11 – Chris Ware – p17
3.      7- 6 – Andy Seery – p16
4.      5- 9 – John Crotty – p15
5.      3-14 – Ken Cocks – p14

No comments: