Monday 4 April 2022

03/04/22 - Shiplate Farm - West Pool

Weight - 36lb 0oz
Catch - 7 Carp, 4 Roach, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Frosty start, warm in the sun, but cold when cloudy.
Match - Open (23 fished) - 11th overall, 6th on the lake

With the forthcoming pairs match over Hawthorns and West Pool in 2 weeks’ time, Mark and I decided to get a little practice in, as we are the defending champions. We both drew the lakes we wanted, and I ended up on the same peg as I drew last year, peg 4 (West Pool) which is in the narrow end of the lake, being only 13m wide. 

It was -2c when I left home and apparently -5c overnight at the venue meaning a hard day was likely. At least with a match on the main lake opposite, there wouldn’t be any anglers walking or running up and down the far bank.

I started cautiously feeding a small ball of groundbait and maggot at 5m and went straight over to the far bank toss potting a small nugget of groundbait and micros with a 4mm expander. With no bites I tried maggot and still nothing. I had a few liners but no fish, whilst the anglers either side of me caught.

In the meantime, I kept the 5m line topped up with maggot in the hope of some skimmers or carp as a back-up line. After an hour I saved the blank catching a roach on maggot, but this line only produced roach proving to be an unnecessary distraction.

An hour later I eventually caught my first carp from the far bank on a 6mm baninion expander over baninion boosted micros. An hour later I caught my 2nd & 3rd carp and it is fair to say it was slow going!

The frustration was Steve Smith to my left on p5 had 4 or 5 carp in this time from that far line. With 2hrs remaining I knew I was behind p1 and p5 and decided to big pot micros and some groundbait to make something happen – it didn’t, although I did manage another carp off to my right at the limit of my swim, but the fish weren’t really feeding with all fish being hooked around the mouth.

I had been feeding meat at 6m to my right, but it wasn’t until the last 30mins that it produced 3 fish for 18lb. As for my margin, it wasn’t until very late that I saw any movement by which point I was concentrating on the meat line, but no one had more than 1 carp from the margins, probably not helped by the cold weather.

Overall, a bit of a head scratcher as I felt I should have caught more from that far bank. Had I, I would have been able to push for the section. That said a few lessons learnt for next time.

1.    84- 2 – Shawn Kitteridge – 11W
2.    75-10 – Mark Poppleton – 5H
3.    59- 0 – Daryl – 14H
4.    51-14 – Andy Myers – 14W
5.    51- 8 – Steve Smith – 5W

No comments: