Friday 8 April 2022

07/04/22 - Durleigh

Weight - 27lb 4oz
Catch - 6 Bream
Weather - Cold start. Bright and sunny, and very wind
Match - So Simple knock Up (8 fished) - 2nd overall

What started as a couple of us having a bit of a practice, soon turned into an 8 peg knock up. The only issue was the wind, and it was certainly blowing when we arrived.

I didn’t care where I drew. I just wanted to try a few different things, such as trying a new 13ft Freespirit Power Feeder Special rod, but I’ve never really used braid and thanks to Roy Worth for helping me look at using power gum as a shock leader which was really helpful.

I drew p8 and fortunately a big tree provided me with some shelter from the wind. However due to that wind which was forecast to get stronger I decided to fish a sensible 55m, to keep it accurate and just build up a single swim.

At the start I fed about 2pts of FA1 groundbait and RTG’s, plus corn. I started on 45g window feeder with corn on the hook, however I soon realised it wasn’t man enough as the tow was pulling it out of position, and I didn’t have any heavier window or cage feeders. So, a trip to the tackle ship will be required.

The good news was I at least had some 60g large ICM Banjo feeders, so that’s what I fished for the rest of the match, casting every 10mins to build the swim.

2hrs in I eventually had a positive pull on 3 dead maggots soaked in BMG and a 5lb lid was safely netted. 2 more followed before it went quiet. By this point Andy and Chris who had drawn in the deeper water were walking the bank. Apparently, the wind and tow was so bad they couldn’t hold a 60g feeder!

It turned out my 3 bream put me 2nd so far with no else catching more than 1 fish except for Rich above me on p9, who had 6.

With no more bites I decided to feed another 5 big feeders full of bait and 30mins later I had another bream, again followed by 2 more on dead maggot, before it went quiet. I did hook another with 10mins remaining but pulled out of it.

As it happened it didn’t affect the result with Rich very comfortably winning the match and watching him fish it was obvious he is very good at this long distance feeder flinging. I was pleasantly surprised to come 2nd and more importantly picked up a number of tips for next week’s match.

1.   
115-11 – Rich Phillips – p9
2.      27- 4 – Ken Rayner – p8
3.      10- 0 – Roy Worth – p6
4.        9- 6 – Colin Butler – p7 

No comments: