Sunday 10 April 2022

09/04/22 - Ivy House - Moorhen

Weight - 78lb 0oz
Catch - 54 Carp, 30 F1s, 4 Skimmers
Weather - Cold start. Bright & sunny, light breeze.
Match - Open (13 fished) - 1st overall

Today’s match was on the canals but following another cold night the preference was to be
on Moorhen, as there are more smaller fish and therefore more bites to be had.

Fortunately, I drew Moorhen p30, which is roughly in the middle of the lake. At the start I
cupped a small ball of FA1 and BMG boosted micros at 6m, plus a bigger ball off to left in 
case I needed it to catch skimmers later.

Due to the cold start, I decided to start at the bottom of the far shelf, rather than fishing tight 
to the far bank, tapping in baninion boosted 4s with a hair rigged 4mm kriller pellet. After an 
initial slow start the swim just got better and stayed on this line for just over 2hrs.

Dropping back to the 5m line which I kept topped up with nuggets of FA1 & micros, quickly produced 3 skimmers, but it didn’t feel right.

Switching to fishing tight against the far bank, again tapping in 4s with a 4mm expander 
produced another run of fish for another 2hrs, and the average size was a little better.

When this swim slowed, I switched back to the margin, but this only produced 1 fish. I had 
also been pinging 4s slightly to my left, again at the bottom of the shelf, which produced 
another run of fish, but it wasn’t quite as good as I hoped. Fortunately resting the far bank
swim proved beneficial, as I had a strong last 45mins.

An enjoyable match, with plenty of bites and I felt I made all the right decisions at the right 
time for a comfortable win.
 
1.    78- 0 – Ken Rayner – p30 (moorhen)
2.    69-10 – Jim Butcher – p41 (kingfisher)
3.    62- 2 – Chris Timms – p49 (kingfisher)
4.    51- 8 – Fluff – p33 (moorhen)
5.    49-10 – Baggy – p34 (moorhen)
Silvers
1.    18-10 – Andy Lord – p47 (kingfisher)
2.    18- 0 – Gary Dennis – p28 (moorhen)
3.      9- 8 – Baggy – p34 (moorhen)

No comments: