Monday 7 March 2022

06/03/22 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 22lb 8oz
Catch - 9 F1, 5 Carp
Weather - Bright & clear. Cold north easterly wind
Match - Open (6th out of 17)

No fishing on Saturday which just left Sunday and I decided to fish Heron Lake at Ivy House hoping for a few bites, as there are signs the fish are starting to wake up from their winter slumber, however it was close to freezing overnight and a cold north easterly wind was forecast.

Being a little out of touch with the venue, I was told the pegs around p9 was still the area to draw. So, no surprise I drew the opposite bank on p21, which is a peg I have always wanted to draw although this side of the lake has been less consistent during the winter. 

As for the wind it was blowing left to right, and it was cold. On the all-in, I fed a nugget of choc orange darkened with BMG, plus some BMG micros and maggot at 14m. Whilst that settled, I tried the lead and bread by the island and 10mins later had a 3lb carp which was a bonus, plus a small carp and a F1. 

With no further bites I moved to the 14m line, and it took 15mins before I caught another carp. After that I didn’t have another bite for an hour or so, despite trying the lead & bread again, as well as a mini banjo feeder. 

Although the wind was awkward, I felt I needed to push out to 16m to move up the far shelf and by being patient I managed to catch a few fish. The frustration was that wind, as it made for difficult presentation with the lake towing which resulted in a few lost fish, as the rig bumped into fish, or I was a split second too late on the strike on delicate feeding fish due to fishing a longer than normal lash in the wind. In addition, the light at times was so bad I couldn’t see the float. 

So, another difficult day where another fish or 2 would have got me into the frame and my bad run continues. I definitely felt I left a few fish in the swim. 

1.    59- 0 – Robin – p14
2.    32- 8 – Phil – p9
3.    26- 8 – Gary – p7
4.    24- 8 – Paul – p10
5.    24- 6 – Paul – p22
6.    22- 8 – Ken – p21

No comments: