Monday 21 March 2022

20/03/22 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 56lb
Catch - 12 Carp, 3 Skimmers
Weather - Chilly start. Warm & sunny.
Match - Open (24 fished) - 4th overall

Back to Ivy House with the match spread over the Old Match Lake and Willow, and we were also back to fishing 6hrs.

P5 was my home for the day, which is a peg I have won from in the past; however, it is at the narrowest and shallowest part of the lake, and with both pegs in either side of me I was unsure how it would fish.

As it was a chilly start, I decided to start cautiously, so went straight out at 14m and tapped in a few baninion boosted 4s. Unfortunately, this didn’t work, nor did a small method cast to the island.

After an hour, I eventually caught a small skimmer on a single dead maggot over micros at 14m, but I couldn’t catch anything else whilst I saw a number of anglers all catching and I began to fear the worst.
I did manage 2 carp on the waggler, and hair rigged triple dead maggot between the islands, plus another small skimmer at 14m, but I was going nowhere fast and with 2.5hrs remaining probably had about 12lb.

A change of tactics was required to make something happen, so I moved out to 16m where it was a little shallower toss potting 4s with a 4mm kriller pellet on the hook and started to catch up those anglers around me, except for Joe on p15 who seemed to be catching all day.

I soon ditched the toss pot as pinging pellet seemed to be more productive and was enjoying myself. It’s one of the reasons I like fishing this lake as you are never truly out of it, because if you manage to put together a late run of fish you can soon make up lost ground.

When ever I needed to rest the 16m line I would try my short line or margin but didn’t have a bite off either line.

I only foulhooked 1 carp all match, which was right at the end, and I landed it 5mins after the all-out, which proved crucial as it weighed c.7lb, allowing me to sneak the section money.

It was also nice not to be blown off my peg and to feel the warm of the early spring sunshine.

1.   116- 0 – Joe McMahon – p15
2.    81-12 – Paul Elmes – p18
3.     60- 2 – Robin Guppy – p24
4.     56- 0 – Ken Rayner – p5
5.     52- 4 – Matt Collins – p23
Silvers
1.    10- 8 – Martin Rayet – p9
2.    10- 4 – Paul Elmes – p18 

No comments: