Monday 14 March 2022

13/03/22 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 38lb 4oz
Catch - 7 Carp
Weather - Mostly sunny with a strong south westerly breeze.
Match - Wiltshire Angling Open - 5th out of 14 (2nd in section)

With not many options available this Sunday I booked in on the Wiltshire Angling open at a venue I enjoy fishing and its only 10mins from home.

No complaints about the draw as I drew the right side of the ‘lawns’ and in the right area of the lake.

Being only a couple of feet deep, the question was it is a little too early for a decent day, as I don’t normally fish here until April. I really didn’t expect to catch on the pole, so just set up 2 rods, a method for casting into the middle and a straight lead to fish at 20/25m over pinged pellet and meat. I never had a bite on the short line, meaning everything came on the feeder.

I eventually caught my first carp after 75mins on a 6mm pink gofter but had to wait another hour for my next one. By this time everyone around me had started catching a few and to be honest I was getting a bit frustrated as I couldn’t catch as quickly. This frustration wasn’t helped when I lost 4 fish on the bounce, as I think the hair wasn’t sitting right, resulting in poorly hooked fish. A change of hooklength resolved that problem.

In hindsight (and speaking to those that caught) I should have mixed up some groundbait and not simply relied on feeding (cool ice) micros. So, a big mistake on my part and the stupid thing is I recognised this point halfway through the match but still decided to stick with micros! 

Leading up to this match I was on my worst run of results for the last 10 years and was relieved (and surprised) when I picked up the section money, because I didn’t deserve it. However, sometimes to break the cycle you need a bit of luck!

1. 83-  2 - Ian Stainer - p5a
2. 61-  8 - Darryl Mayers - p15
3. 55-  4 - Mayo - p4
4. 42-  8 - Pete Neate - p3
5. 38-  4 - Ken Rayner - p5

No comments: