Monday 28 February 2022

27/02/22 - Goodiford Mill

Weight - 28lb 11oz (3lb 10oz)
Catch - 5 Carp, 13 Skimmers, 9 Roach
Weather - Bright & clear. Cold south easterly wind
Match - So Simple League rd 1 - 8th out of 18 (3rd in section)

What started as an idea, developed quickly and 18 So Simple members signed up to what should be a very interesting 8 match league. Interesting because there are 2 rounds at Goodiford Mill and Todber, plus 4 rounds at Durleigh. So, a real mix of venues and I am personally looking forward to catching a big bag of bream from Durleigh.

There always seems to be something going on when Andy is around and he didn’t disappoint, getting his car stuck in the soft grass verge, which took the efforts of most to push him out, only to realise he managed to beach himself on a hidden tree stump!

Back to the match and p29 for me. My peg had a small island which was covered in brambles at 17/18m slightly to my left and the back of the island at 25m. Space was a little tight with Andy Bull to my right on p28 next to the end bank.

Plumbing around revealed a shallow bar

comes off the island and then 4.5ft to 5ft elsewhere. Following last weeks match it looked like silvers may prove important, so 2 balls of BMG: FA1 with micros and dead maggot was deposited at 6m.

Whilst that settled, I was hoping for an early pull on a small method cast other side of the bar. I also started pinging 6s onto the bar, but after 50mins and 1 roach I had to try my silvers line to catch

Unfortunately, this line proved to be slow. In the meantime, Andy landed his 3rd carp on the method cast into the corner by the sunken


trees, leaving me with no choice but to cast tight to the far bank trees (and snags) to get a bite and I soon landed my first carp.

The rest of the match was a real struggle. I did manage 2 more carp from the far bank, however Andy kept catching. I simply couldn’t pull the fish out of the corner, but to be fair to Andy, he kept pinging pellet into the corner to keep the fish in his swim.

I managed a few more silvers from my short line, but would catch a few before they back

offed and just wouldn’t settle.

With 2hrs remaining I started feeding 4s and corn down my left margin. Fortunately, I managed a 9lber and then a 5lber on the all out to sneak 3rd in section. 2nd in section was 64lb and I simply don’t think that was in the peg.

So, a steady start to the series and I am looking forward to the next round at Todber.

Finally thanks to Simon Poynter for the photos.

1st 172- 0 – Elliot Fay – p12
2nd 76- 3 – Chris Ware – p7
3rd  69- 9 – Andy Bull – p28
4th  67- 1 – Dave Wykes – p51
5th  64- 1 – Karl Turner – p21

No comments: