Thursday 30 December 2021

29/12/21 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 60lb 8oz (should have been 80lb!)
Catch - 19 Carp, 2 Skimmers, 2 Roach, 1 Gudgeon
Weather - Very mild and windy. Mostly cloudy and some rain
Match - Open (30 anglers)

After a lovely Christmas I was looking forward to getting out on the bank and today we were spread over Hillview and Ash. P40 isn’t currently the best area of the lake, however with the mild conditions and the wind blowing right to left I quite fancied it for a few.

I did consider targeting the silvers, but with the pairs match on Friday and the upcoming teams of 4 today represented an opportunity to work out a few things if I drew poorly in the league.

After 2hrs 10mins I had only caught a handful of silvers on the pole at 11m and no carp,


although I had lost 3 foulhookers. Richard Yeo only had a couple on p39 on the straight lead, as had the angler on p42 and it didn’t seem there were many carp in the area.

As I was struggling, I decided to be quite positive with my feed. Pinging pellet 2/3 of the way to the island, produced 2 carp on the straight lead and corn, but it wasn’t right as the wind was spreading the feed over too wide an area.

I had also been feeding meat at 2+2, plus micros (choc orange RTGs) and baninion boosted corn 2m off the right margin. Due to the wind, I ended up using a 0.5g chimp rig on the meat line and started to put a few fish into the net, including a couple of decent ones and was starting to enjoy myself.

The margin swim was a little slower to get going but I had 3 carp on corn in the last 15mins.

In the end I thought I had a 65-70lb, however I badly underestimated my first 1st net which had 16 fish as it went over the 66lb limit (probably 70lb) and I was knocked back to 50lb.

My final weight put me 5th in a 10-man section, instead of 3rd. Fortunately this didn’t cost me as p46 on the spit had 110lb to pick the section money, however a note to self not to make the same mistake in the winter league. Despite this oversight I was pleased with how the 2nd half of match went and it was nice to feed some bait.

1.   
215- 4 – Mark Poppleton – p49 (HV)
2.    149-14 – Mark Wynne – p55 (HV)
3.    142-14 – Jason Powell – p47 (HV)
4.    122- 4 – Nick Ewers – p53 (HV)
5.    113-12 – Chris Martin – p75 (Ash)
Silvers
1.    20-12 – Nick Chedzoy – p37
2.    16- 8 – Tony Day – p50
3.      5- 2 – Andy Weston – p60

No comments: