Saturday 1 January 2022

31/12/21 - Todber - Homeground

Weight - 139lb 0oz
Catch - 35 Carp, 1 Skimmer, 1 Tench
Weather - Very mild. Gusty wind, cloud and sunshine.
Match - Pairs (46 fished)

Originally this match was to be limited to 14 pairs, however, as is the popularity of this venue 23 pairs ended up booking in. My partner was Jack Stamp who preferred to be on Hillview, which meant I would fish either Ash/Homeground.

The draw put me on p87 (Homeground) and Jack on Hillview p52. Both our pegs were ok and we at least avoided some of the poor draws. Based on recent past results the fish have been balled up around p90, with p77, 88, 89 and 90 being the pegs to beat, however as it turned out the recent very mild weather meant the fish had spread out a little as the lake fished well.

At the start of the match, I caught a carp straight away on the lead and corn towards to the island but didn’t get my 2nd for another 30mins. In the meantime, I fed micros and corn at 13m, but struggled to get a proper bite other than from silvers nibbing at the bait. Frustratingly Mark Poppleton (p86) who has had a good run of results here recently had started well on the pole, but I couldn’t catch.

The wind was proving to be a pain but seemed to be quietening down a little. I felt I had probably fed too many micros over the pole line, encouraging too many silvers into the swim so set up a new swim at 14.5m as the wind had eased slightly, feeding 4s and baninion boosted corn, pinging 4s over the top.

Whilst I built up the swim, I caught another carp on the lead, plus 2 more on a mini banjo feeder, but there didn’t seem to be many fish around the island and needed my pole line to start working. Fortunately, this new line came good, fishing a hair rigged 6mm kriller pellet or corn.

With 75mins remaining I dropped in on my short meat line and started to catch some better sized fish, but the wind had picked up again, necessitating a change to a heavier rig, as I started to foul hook fish as the rig was wafting around too much. I am glad I did as during the last 45mins I had 8 fish for 50lb which proved very useful, as I finished 2nd on the lake, behind p90.

Jack won his section, and we won the pairs, tying on points with Ryan Shipp and Ricky Mills, but we had a better weight advantage, picking up £130 each. 

A great way to end the year. 2021 on the fishing front has been good, particularly in the last month where I've picked up 2 hampers and came 2nd in the Ivy House Winter League.

Overall really enjoying my fishing at the moment and hope the good form continues into 2022.
Have new year to everyone.
1st pair: Jack Stamp and Ken Rayner (23pts) 291lb 4oz (52 HV + 87 HG)
2nd pair: Ryan Shipp and Ricky Mills (23pts) 256lb 14oz (38 HV + 62 ASH)
3rd pair: Pete Neate and Dan Squire (20pts) 223lb 0oz (77 HG + 42 HV)
4th pair: Bob Gullick and Gary O'Shea (18pts) 262lb 12oz (66 ASH + 60 HV)
 
1.    152- 4 – Jack Stamp – p52 (HV)
2.    148- 6 – Eddie Green – p90 (HG)
3.    146-10 – Ricky Mills – p62 (Ash)
4.    146- 6 – Roland Lucas – p47 (HV)
5.    146- 6 – Pemb Wrighting – p50 (HV)
6.    146- 4 – Bob Gullick – p66 (Ash)
 

No comments: