Monday 6 December 2021

05/12/21 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 18lb 12oz
Catch - 10 Carp, 6 F1
Weather - Freezing NW wind and cloudy
Match - Winter League - rd 5 (40 fished)

The 5th and penultimate round of the Winter League and it was back to a random draw. As I’m lying 2nd in the league, I just hoped for a decent draw and P8 on Heron was certainly in the right area. I also had the added bonus that the island sheltered me from the worst effects of the freezing NW wind, which meant I could at least fish the pole long at 14-16m.

For company I had Vince Shipp on p7 who was lying 3rd in the league, Jamie Dixey on p9 and Derek Newson on the current form peg p10.

There was certainly plenty of fish moving around in front of p9, but this happened the other week and those fish didn’t want to feed.

Starting on the lead and bread, didn’t produce, neither did a switch to the maggot feeder. I was getting liners, but no bites. Eventually I caught on a micro cage feeder, feeding Choc Orange : BMGX (2:1) and a few BMG boosted micros, with maggot on the hook.

A switch to the pole at 14m didn’t produce a bite, which was a worry and with 2 hours gone I only had 3 fish, whilst Vince had 4, Jamie 2 and Derek 8-10 fish. So, it was fishing hard.

I did eventually catch a couple fish on the pole at 16m (using a short 4) on either maggot or pinkie and 3 fish on a mini banjo feeder tight to the island to bring my total to 8 with 75mins remaining.

The wind eased a little and I was able to fish a lighter rig at 16m (using a long 4) where it was an inch or so shallower. This made a difference as I had a late run of fish tapping in micros and fishing maggot or pinkie, swapping between 2 swims.

The only negative was hooking a decent carp (about 2-3lb) with 20mins remaining, but the elastic (dura 9) snapped at the connector, which was annoying as it wasn’t that old. That lost fish cost me 2nd in section, but none the less pleased to finish 3rd in section only 1lb behind Jamie.

More importantly, I consolidated my 2nd place in the league with Chris Telling now looking odds on to win having won his section today, although as we both know a poor draw and you can be very easy to trip up.

1.   
44- 2 – Andy Dixey – p42 (Kingfisher)
2.    40- 8 – Steve Rich – p38 (Kingfisher)
3.    33-10 – Mick Chilley – p40 (Kingfisher)
4.    26-14 – Ian Millichip – p1 (Old Match Lake)
5.    25- 8 – Derek Newson – p10 (Heron)
6.    24- 2 – Paul Bailey – p48 (Kingfisher)

No comments: