Monday 31 May 2021

29/05/21 - Todber Manor - Hillview

Weight - 237lb 12oz
Catch - 61 Carp, 2 Skimmers
Weather - Warm & sunny, light breeze
Match - Open 

I had hoped to be fishing Saturday and Sunday, however waking up on Sunday with what turned into the worst migraine I have ever experienced, meant a day in bed and no good for anything.

So, back to Saturday and there were 35 of us over Hillview and Homeground, with everyone wanting to draw Homeground, but I wasn’t disappointed to draw 49 (again!) and following a month of frosts, following by a month of rain, it was also nice to slap on the sun cream rather than the fleeces and waterproofs.

On the all in I started short (1+2) on 6mm pellet and after an hour had 9 carp, but was already 20lb behind Ben Hagg on p50. To be honest I wasn’t going to compete with Ben fishing short as it’s a style he is very good at, although I did pick up on a couple of points for next time. So a switch to fishing down the left margin was required sooner than anticipated, fishing corn over blue ice micros and I caught straight away, but Ben in the meantime caught a 19lber putting me further behind.

Down the margin I soon started foul hooking fish and I felt there were a number of silvers nipping at the corn and switched to fishing Blue Ice Paste over 4s, this was much better and I was also catching a better stamp of fish. I stayed on this for a couple of hours, but it was noticeable the fish were drifting in and out of the swim, but at least I was catching.

With 90mins to go, a switch to fishing meat on my top kit produced a nice run of fish quite quickly which was very welcome, before they drifted off again. The last 30mins was just swapping between the top kit line and the margin.

I weighed 237lb12oz, just behind Ben who had 259lb. I finished 2nd in section and 3rd on Hillview, however Homeground fished very well as expected, which meant I came 8th overall. Looking back the difference between Ben and myself was falling behind in that first hour, plus his big fish, after that I probably made up about half the deficit so was not too disappointed.

1st: Ash Tomkins 325lb 6oz (47 HV)
2nd: Simon Dimment 310lb 12oz (78 HG)
3rd: Tony Gilbert 283lb 6oz (83 HG)
4th: Mark Wynne 269lb 14oz (80 HG)
5th: Andy Cranston 262lb 12oz (85 HG) 

Section A: Greg Welsby 233lb 14oz (44 HV)
Section B: Ben Hagg 259lb 6oz (50 HV)
Section C: Martin Rayet 247lb 6oz (88 HG)



No comments: