Monday 3 May 2021

02/05/2021 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 24lb 7oz
Catch - 6 Carp
Weather - Cold start, sunshine and showers.
Match - Wiltshire Angling Open - 8th out of 21, 1st in section.

A Wiltshire Angling open at Rood Ashton today and with 21 fishing it was always going to be difficult.

Peg 6 put me on the left-hand side of the lawns, which can be a good area, but with 3 of us squeezed onto the lawns we didn’t have much space. Therefore, decided on a simple plan of fishing the feeder at 45m and feed 8mm pellet at 20m to fish the straight lead later, which has always done well for me in the past. I also set up the 2 pole rigs but wasn’t confident I would catch due to the cold and tight pegging. In fact, only I spent 5mins on the pole.

So started on a small 30g method, fishing micros flavoured with So Simple blue ice and eventually caught my first carp after 40mins on a pink 6mm gofter. I caught steadily throughout at a fish every hour! Most came to the pink gofter and 1 on a yellow.

Despite the lack of action, it was noticeable if I got a bite it would be after approximately 10mins, despite leaving the feeder for 30mins on one occasion. I also had to cast beyond my original line to catch my next fish.

My 20m pellet line never produced a bite and it was obvious the bulk of the fish were on the far side of the lake, where most of the weights came from. Fortunately, I won my section with everyone else only having 2 fish each. I think 59lb won the match, unfortunately no photos as dropped my phone in the lake - not for the first time!

At least today, I managed to restock my hooklength box.

No comments: