Monday 24 May 2021

22/05/21 - Glebe - Pool 5

Weight - 70lb 5oz (19lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 10 Carp, 9 Skimmers, 2 Gudgeon
Weather - Mostly cloudy, sunny periods and showers
Match - Sue Marlow MacMillan Charity - day 1

After last week’s success, I was looking forward to spending the weekend at the Glebe to fish the Sue Marlow MacMillian Cancer charity match. However, heavy rain for most of Friday was likely to put a dampener on proceedings.

Well, my day started well being handed p80 in the middle of pool 5 which I was told was a good draw, although I had 2 good locals at either end of the lake.

I started short on 6mm pellet and had 2 carp in 15mins, and then 2 gudgeon! Which wasn’t a good sign. A switch to the feeder towards the far bank with blue ice micros and groundbait only produced 1 carp, but it was noticeable there was a bit of blanket weed on the far bank, which is a sure sign the fish haven’t started feeding on this line yet.

Coming back on the short line only produced 1 skimmer on pellet and nothing on the paste.

With the sun coming out, I started pinging a few 8s long, but couldn’t get a bite on the waggler, although I had 1 on the straight lead over the same line. After 2hrs I was going nowhere fast with only 4 carp in the net, whilst both ends were catching.

A switch down the margin, tosspotting micros and blue ice flavoured corn, with corn on the hook, produced a few decent skimmers and a couple more carp.

At the halfway stage I had 30lb and was falling behind the 2 end pegs; I manged a couple more skimmers & carp from the margins but I couldn’t keep the line going and needed to rotate.

I tried forcing the peg in an attempt to catch up, including dumping 2 pots of bait over a new short line, which did produce 2 carp on paste but it was a struggle and I was scratching my head wondering what to do next.

In the end I came 4th in section and was glad when the match finished hoping for a better day Sunday.

1. 149-  0 - James Fowkes - p2 (pool 1)
2. 145-  8 - Jamie Adcock - p100 (pool 7)
3. 143-15 - Ian Shore - p92 (pool 6)
4. 140-  3 - Ian Simpson - p73 (pool 4)
5. 138-15 - Steve Porter - p85 (pool 5)
6. 132-  2 - Mark Robinson - p76 (pool 5)


No comments: