Monday 24 May 2021

23/05/21 - Glebe - Pool 1

Weight - 83lb (16lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 10 Carp, 25 Skimmers, 1 F1, 1 Gudgeon,1 Perch, 1 Roach
Weather - Wind, becoming stronger and rain later.
Match - Sue Marlow MacMillan Caner Charity - day 2

With the already strong breeze likely to strengthen and rain later in the day, I wanted to avoid lakes 1, 4 & 5 as the wind would be blowing straight down them. Sadly, I drew p23 on pool 1, which even on a good day isn’t the best.

120lb came off peg 24 yesterday for 2nd in section, catching on pellet at 13m, but there was no way that was going to happen today. Fishing 11m was going to be struggle, so settled at 10m, fishing blue ice paste and 2nd put in I had a 7lber. 4th put in I’ve hooked and lost a carp, and that was it, no further bites.

A switch to the feeder, cast to the far bank, with blue ice groundbait and micros only produced a carp and a F1 on 4 dead maggots.

I had set up a 0.7g chimp for skimmers as I suspected it might be difficult and following an unsuccessful spell on the paste, decided to switch to fishing for skimmers, in the hope I could snare a carp or 2 along the way. Initially tried 4mm expander, but the fish were just nipping at the bait, probably because there was quite a bit of tow and a switch to double dead reds was much better. By toss potting a ball of micros with corn, every other put in I caught hand sized skimmers, with the occasional bigger one, plus 1 carp, losing a 2nd.

With 2hrs to go the wind had really picked up and any sort of presentation at 10m was difficult.

A switch to the straight lead and 8mm red gonut pellet 2/3rd across where I had been pinging 8s, produced a further 2 carp.

I had also been feeding 4mm pellet and corn, 2m off my margin in 2½ft and in the last 45mins had 6 decent carp on corn. To be honest, I wondered whether I should have tried the margin earlier, but I needed another 4 more carp to challenge 2nd in section.

Overall happy with the way my match went, it’s just a shame the weather ruined it a little.

1. 204-  7 - Sam Collett - p107 (pool 7)
2. 199-  8 - James Fowkes - p81 (pool 5)
3. 191-  8 - Dom Lanni - p83 (pool 5)
4. 172-  7 - Colin Mercer - p86 (pool 6)
5. 164-  9 - Andy Findlay - p16 (pool 1)
6. 146-  6 - Andy Williams - p1 (pool 1)

No comments: