Wednesday 31 August 2016

29/08/16 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 161lb 3oz
Catch - 36 Carp, 2 Ide, 1 Crucian
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Open - 1st out of 17

Today was Garry Wall's Memorial match, who was fondly remembered for fishing paste and not being afraid to give them a pot or 2 of bait!

With 17 fishing Tony put 12 on Match and 5 on one side of Johns Lake. My draw put me on p15, which I was happy with and on arrival there were plenty of carp on the surface, although as usual as soon as you put in your keepnets 10mins before the start they soon disappeared.

On the all in I immediately went out on the long line pellet rig, hoping for a few early fish and after an hour was up to 6 caught on 6mm pellet, but the fish were becoming increasingly difficult to catch in the 9 inches of water by the island. In fact during the second hour I couldn't catch, trying my now reliable paste without success, I even tried depositing some hemp & meat which has worked in the past, but not today. There were plenty of fish showing, but these are very cute fish who have seen it, done it and brought the T-shirt.

Up to now I had been feeding 2 lines, left and right along the island, but decided to just concentrate on the one towards the point of the island, catapulting 6s. 

In the meantime I had been feeding 4s left and right at 4 sections, at the bottom of the near shelf, but so far other than small silvers nibbling at the 6mm pellet I had nothing. Eventually at the beginning of the third hour I caught my 7th carp down the left hand side on pellet. A switch to the gonut paste and my match started to gather pace.

The right hand swim didn't produce, so switched to feeding 6s down the right hand margin were it was a foot deep. The rest of the match was a case of switching left and right, and occasionally trying the long line by the island. The left hand swim was definitely the best, probably because it was a little deeper, which meant the fish were happier to hang around.

During the last hour I added 12 carp to finish the match strongly and I thought I might have 140lb. As it happened I had a little more than expected and a great way to finish a really successful weekend.

1. 161- 3 - Ken Rayner - p15
2. 149- 4 - Allan Oram - p46
3. 119- 5 - Mike West - p41
4. 118- 2 - Joe McMahon - p19
5. 118- 0 - Tony Rixon - p1
6. 115-15 - Rod Wootten - p42

Silvers
1. 13- 5 - Rod Wootten - p42
2. 9-10 - Dave Wescott - p7
3. 5-15 - Pete Nurse - p22

No comments: