Monday 15 August 2016

14/08/16 - Shiplate - Squirle Pool

Weight - 56lb 4oz
Catch - 107 Carp, 71 (Goldfish, Roach, Rudd, Skimmers, Perch, Chub)
Weather - warm & sunny
Match - Float Only rd 5 - 22nd out of 40, 2nd in section

A trip to the Copper Kettle in Weston for breakfast which was very enjoyable.

At the fishery you have to say the owners have done a great job maintaining the fishery and we had sections on all 4 lakes, 3 sections on the main lake, 2 sections on the Hawthorns and West Pool and 1 section of 5 on the Squirle Pool which is effectively a stock pond. Ideally I would have preferred a draw on the Main Lake, but ended up on the Squirle Pool, which meant I would at least have plenty of bites.

My draw put me in a corner and was told there were plenty of small carp up to 2lb, as well as loads of goldfish and silvers. I really wasn't sure how to attack it and not people were either because its not match fished that often, but the match record for pool is approximately 60lb.

My section included Mike Nichols, Shaun Townsend, Martin McMahon and Adrian Jeffery, but I couldn't see anyone due to the foliage and the island.

I thought that by trying to target the better sized carp would be the best way forward, so set up a paste rig to fish on the top 3, plus a couple of shallow rigs to fish either margin again on the top 3, either with worm or hair rigged 6mm pellet.

Starting on the paste on the top 3 in 3ft of water, I had 3 carp for 1.5lbs, not the quality I was hoping for and I go the feeling it was right, because some fish were swirling on the 4mm pellet being feed, which encouraged me to switch to the margins immediately.

Fishing 6mm pellet down the right hand side where it was 1ft deep, finishing the end of the first hour with 25 fish, but it was starting to slow a little, so switched to the left margin where I had been feeding caster (mainly because I still had 3pts left over from yesterday), plus some sloppy groundbait again from yesterday that never got used. By fishing a worm head I caught more silvers, but was catching quicker than the pellet swim and the slop definitely brought in the carp, because I would get a little run of 4 or 5 carp after each ball, before the silvers returned.

The problem was I couldn't see anyone so was unsure how I was doing, but could hear that Mike was catching, so just kept going finishing the 3rd hour with 100 fish.

Unfortunately the wheels fell off a bit during the 4th hour, the left hand margin was only producing silvers and the right hand swim was proving difficult as well. Down the right the margin slopped up to 9ins deep and I moved further up the shelf but struggled to get bites on the pellet despite seeing fish in the swim. After a couple of changes decide to stop feeding 4s and switched to toss potting slop/caster fishing a worm and it was like flicking a switch because I started to catch carp quickly including a of 2lber, a monster for this lake.

By switching left and right I kept the fish coming but the right hand side was fading. I tried further down the right at 10m, without much success.

By the all out I really wasn't sure what weight I had and was pleased with 56lb, but was surprised by the size of the fish because I was hoping for more carp in the 1lb bracket. Mike Nichols got it right on the day weighing 71lb for the section fishing soft pellet. If I was to fish the match again I would have had a soft pellet rig to fish in the deeper water and I should have probably fished slop down the right hand side a lot soon. An enjoyable and different day. Certainly a sharp contrast to catching munters from cary.

1- 222-14 - Craig Edmunds - p14 (main lake)
2- 208-12 - Bela Bakos - p6 (hawthorns)
3- 142-12 - Jason Radford - p15 (main lake)
4- 132- 0 - Glenn Bailey - p14b (main lake)
5- 129- 5 - John Fuidge - p2 (main lake)
6- 108-14 - Tom Mangnall - p13 (hawthorns)

Silvers
1- 22-14 - Paul Faires - p12 (main lake)
2- 16- 8 - John Bradford - p5 (main lake)
3- 15- 6 - Paul Blake - p10 (main lake)
4- 14- 0 - Craig Edmunds - p14 (main lake)
5- 13-12 - Nick Chedzoy - p9a (main lake)
6- 11-14 - Nick Ewers - p6 (main lake)

No comments: