Tuesday 9 August 2016

07/08/16 - Fishponds

Weight - 215lb 11oz
Catch - 34 Carp, 2 Skimmers
Weather - Warm, sunny and windy
Match - club - 2nd out of 8

A better turn out for our club for this match, but still disappointingly low, however I do enjoy fishing our club lake and hoped for a good day.

With a strong wind blowing and the fact the sun was out I fancied a draw where there would be plenty of ripple so I could fish shallow, whilst everyone else wanted the hot peg 5 which has been dominating matches recently. That honour fell to Andy Lord, whilst I had peg 12 which put me in a more sheltered part of the lake.

Having fished the peg a number times in the past its usually paste or pellet at 8m and down both margins, it rarely produces fishing shallow. Its funny how some days you have a preconceived idea of how you will catch and it never works out the way you expect.

On the all-in I started on the paste to my right. Not a bite after 10mins. A switch to 8m produced a few knocks and 10mins later I had a small skimmer. This really wasn't going to plan. Gilly on p10 got off to flyer catching down his margin, yet I was struggling for a bite. A switch to the full depth pellet rig, fishing 8mm pellet produced another small skimmer and eventually a carp, but after an hour I was really struggling with just the 1 carp in the net.

Due to the direction and strength of the wind there was some ripple at 13m to my right, so decided to start feeding 8s hoping to draw a few fish in shallow, leaving the margins until later in the match.

Starting on a long line, swinging the rig into the ripple I started to pick up a few fish, slowly at first, but as the match progressed I started to add some fish into the net on a regular basis, making up the 7 carp deficit on Gilly.

As the fish became more confident the long line rig was replaced with a slapper rig and was still catching quiet quickly, until about an hour from the end when the action slowed down. To be honest I didn't expect the shallow line to last as long as it did, which was a bonus, because a look down the margins in the last hour proved to be a lot slower than expected, although still managed to add a few more fish before the end on paste.

1st - 247- 3 - Andy Lord - p5
2nd - 215-11 - Ken Rayner - p12
3rd - 205-14 - Paul Lewis - p16
4th - 194- 4 - Andy Bradley - p14

No comments: