Sunday 7 August 2016

06/08/16 - Viaduct - Cary

Weight - 38lb 10oz (15lb 11oz - silvers)
Catch - 34 Skimmers, 2 Roach, 2 Carp
Weather - Hot & sunny, becoming breezy
Match - Open - 3rd in silvers, 19th out of 27 overall

Today of the first match on Cary since the lake had been closed following the oxygen crash and a quick walk around the lakes suggested the best pegs would be around the aerators since there was a lot of carp basking enjoying the sun in the area. Lodge lake was also in today and to be honest that was my preferred draw, hopefully on a nice skimmer peg so I could qualify for the Silvers all winners.

Peg 86 was home for the day and I felt I could be at wrong end of the lake today, but you never know and there were a few fish on the surface. The real decision was paste or meat and since I wanted to try and keep it simple settled on paste. I did cut up a tin of meat just in case but it mostly didn't get used.

I also had a bucketful of groundbait for down the edge for later in the match were I hoped to catch late.

On the all in a half cup of 4s & 6s was deposited at 14m and I started on the long line shallow rig with meat swinging at a couple of the cruisers with no joy. A short stint with the slapper rig didn't yield anything either, so it was on to the paste rig a little earlier than expected but soon found myself attached to a carp, which was followed by a 13lber 15mins later. Perhaps today will be a good day. Unfortunately not. After an hour the whole lake appeared to have shut up shop. Those that had caught early, weren't catching any more.

A brief look on the lead didn't produce and I simple couldn't get a proper bite on the paste despite quite a bit of fizzing. The carp appeared to be quite content swimming around on the surface and not feeding.

I had already set up a skimmer rig just in case and reasoned since no one I could see was catching if I could get a few skimmers then at least I was slowly building a weight and I was expecting the carp to switch on later.

After an initial slow start trying to sort how best to feed I started catching skimmers up to 2lb mostly on 4mm expander with a few on worm, pinging 6s over the top. For some reason pinging 4s was quite as effective and for 2hrs or so I was enjoying myself before the action started slow.

I had already started feeding groundbait down the left hand margin, but only got knocks from silvers, so that proved to be a waste of time. A new paste swim was set up at 8m to my left, where I hooked 2 carp, but they both fell off. I also hooked and lost another carp on the full depth pellet rig at 14m with 8mm pellet. Other than that I just couldn't get a bite on anything.

A few people caught carp late on and any hope I had of doing well in the section evaporated and even if I had landed those 3 lost carp it wouldn't have made a difference. Today I was simply in the wrong area. The anglers either side of me has 3 & 4 carp respectively, with the better weights coming from the other end of the lake.

1. Dave Cockayne - 135lb 7oz - peg 74
2. Martin Preston - 129lb 10oz - peg 105
3. Nigel Easton - 114lb 14oz - peg 99
4. Roland Lucas - 113lb 3oz - peg 81
5. David Simpkins - 99lb 2oz - peg 64
6. Jamie Parkhouse - 92lb 11oz - peg 103

Silvers
1. Dan Squires - 42lb 7oz - peg 77
2. Rob Eagle - 26lb 6oz - peg 70
3. Ken Rayner - 15lb 11oz - peg 86

No comments: