Tuesday 30 August 2016

27/08/16 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 127lb 6oz (7lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 24 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 2 Roach
Weather - Warm & muggy
Match - Open - 2nd out of 12 (3rd in silvers)

During the week I received 2 bits of good news, firstly my job role will be changing, which means going back to being a Financial Adviser and secondly Mark asked me to join the Colmic Team, along with Nick Merry and Mark Wynne. So hopefully exciting times ahead.

After no fishing last weekend, I was looking forward to the next 3 days over the Bank Holiday weekend. p19 was my home for the day, so not a bad start. For company I had Russ Peck on p17 and Nick Merry on p21.

As you can see from the photos the water levels are down quite a bit, which meant the far island shelf was covered with less than a foot of water and it was here that I started fishing the Gonut paste. A handful of 4s were also fed left and right at 4m.

I had 2 early fish across, but the fish soon spooked and it became a struggle to get proper bites, despite being able to see the fish in the swim. A switch to the short lines produced 2 skimmers, but I was soon back on the long paste line and started to pick up a few fish although it was slow going.

Early indication suggested Mark Poppleton on peg 1 was leading the way and I wasn't too far behind. A switch to pellet proved unsuccessful and a discarded rig off the end of the island was proving problematic, so I resorted to getting the boat out to clear it.

The island swim became increasingly difficult to get a proper bite and the short lines only produced 1 more skimmer. In the meantime, the grapevine suggested that Dave Wescott on p11, Dave Ings on p15 and Russ on p17 were all catching, which meant I was slipping down the field.

At the half way point I started feeding 6s down the right hand margin where it was a foot deep and it didn't take long for the tails to start showing. I also started feeding pellet down the track at 8m which produced loads of fizz but no fish all match.

The last 2.5hrs were spent mostly switching between the margin and the island. In fact the margin saved my match, because they were a bigger average stamp than those caught from the island, all on paste. It also meant I started to catch up with Russ and Dave.

By the all out, we all thought Mark had won, but beyond that Russ and I thought it would be close. Dave Wescott had 25 carp, but said they were small. Russ thought he had about 110lb and said Dave Ings had more.

Fortunately the weigh in fell in my favour sneaking 2nd overall.

1. 135-12 - Mark Poppleton - p1
2. 127- 6 - Ken Rayner - p19
3. 111- 2 - Dave Wescott - p11
4. 108- 0 - Russ Peck - p17
5. 94- 8 - Dave Ings - p15
6. 86- 9 - Nick Merry - p21

Silvers
1. 15- 1 - Ray White - p24
2. 12-11 - Mark Walsh - p5
3.  7-10 - Ken Rayner - p19

No comments: