Monday 30 June 2014

28/06/14 - Fishponds

Weight - 219lb 4oz
Catch - 31 Carp, 1 Eel
Weather - Muggy
Match - Club - 2nd out of 10

A nice easy start to the day, with a 1pm draw, fishing 2-7pm. There were 10 of us today and I drew p10 which is the deepest peg (7-8ft) on the lake, so hardly ideal for a summer evening match, however it also has some deep margins close to the reeds of 5ft, which is where I intended to stay most of the match.

3 rigs were set up, 1 for paste, 1 for banded 8mm pellet and a shallow rig, because I had seen a few fish moving around. Feed was 8mm pellet, so nothing complicated.

Starting in the left margin, mainly because it was easy to catapult pellet 13m to my shallow line, I had 8 carp in the first hour all on paste, including a couple of double figure fish. The following 90mins and the wheels fell off some what. The left hand margin was slowing so switched to the right side, but it wasn’t anywhere as good as the left. The shallow line didn’t produce, I lost a  rig in the reeds thanks to foul hooker and pulled out of a couple more, which meant I had only added a further 3 carp to my tally. To add insult to injury, a 10lber managed to jump out of the keepnet, past the landing net that was in the net to stop such action and landed at my feet, before it flipped back into the water.

In the meantime a number of anglers had caught up and overtaken me. Time to take stock. I decided to bin the shallow line and just concentrate on the 2 margins. A brief look with the pellet rig only produced 1 carp, but paste was much better. A handful of 8s (fed 8pts of pellet during the match) into each margin after hooking a carp, kept them coming, adding 20, plus a big eel (1lb 12oz) in the last 2.5hrs.

I was fairly sure I had overtaken most during those last 2hrs, but wasn’t sure. First to weigh was Glenn on peg 1 who I couldn’t see from my peg and he put 229lb on the scales, which was enough to win. My 219lb was enough for 2nd and the acrobatic carp may have cost me a win. However it was nice to catch a few fish and give the new Power Legion a good work out as a few carp were determined to seek sanctuary in the reeds.

1st 229- 5 – Glenn Putterill – p1
2nd 219- 4 – Ken Rayne – p10
3rd 164- 5 – Andy Bradley – p23
4th 159- 0 – Dave Bradley – p16
5th 154-13 – Craig Davidge – p5
6th 144- 0 – Andy Lord – p21

No comments: