Tuesday 3 June 2014

01/06/14 - Acorns - Paddock

Weight - 19lb 2oz
Catch - 8 Carp, 2 Roach, 1 Crucian
Weather - Warm & Sunny
Match - Pole Only Series - 25th out of 30 overall, 8th out of 10 section

A recent article in this month’s Match Fishing Magazine by Jon Arthur in the Room 101 section made me smile. It referred to anglers who only promote their good results on social media, but stay quiet when they don’t do so well. You know who you are! Being a blogger means I don’t have that luxury, plus I think it’s good to write about your bad days, well sometimes. There have a one or two days in the past when I felt digging a hole and staying there! However, usually the bad days are those when I learn the most.
 
Today was the 6th and final round of the Pole Only series and as you can see from the header I didn’t do very well! A quick note for Chris Fox and Paul Faires who have run a well organised event – well done chaps.
 
It was my turn for the good section and following last week’s success with paste decided I would concentrate on the putty for today’s match, knowing if it worked I could have a big weight. Ideally I would have preferred one of the pegs without a bridge, but ended up on peg 6 in the corner and the bridge opposite.
 
Starting on pellet by the bridge/island I got plenty of liners and hooked 2 carp, but both fell off. On the paste I hooked 2 carp but lost them both as well. In the meantime I was getting battered by Dom Sullivan on p40 and Mark Bromsgrove on p7.
 
After 3 hours I had 1 roach in the net and was becoming a little concerned it wasn’t going to be my day. I wasn’t concerned about the slow start, because I knew once the fish turned on to the paste I could build a weight very quickly. The problem was the fish never truly switched on. I managed 3 carp on paste by the bridge, followed up by 3 more on pellet against the island or the right hand bank in the second half of the match.
 
The big surprise was my banker swim at 5m which only yielded 2 carp, despite being fed constantly with 6s and a few bits of paste.
 
I did take a boom or bust approach to the match, when in hindsight I should have fed micros & 4s, instead of 6s and probably had some worm or dead maggot for the hook. However, I had nothing to lose and needed to win my section with a big weight to even consider getting close to the payout positions and hope others slipped up.
 
Well done to those whose who picked up. For me I fished a poor series and didn't do myself justice. Ironically I did better from my poor draws and messed up the good draws. For the rest of the summer I'm hoping to make a few visits to Viaduct, Lands End and the Glebe.

No comments: